JuliePatricia

Has anyone had any luck with Chentix? 

I will start taking it tomorrow

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I successfully quit using Chantix on my first and only attempt at it over 8 1/2 years ago.  I had none of the warned about side effects, but if you experience any, talk to your doctor.  There are scheduling and dosage adjustments that can be made to reduce them.  As important as your quit aid is how you prepare and plan for your quit.  Becoming knowledgeable about this addiction is important, as is changing up your routines, writing down your reasons for quitting and the activities you think will work to distract yourself through any tough times.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: Nicotine and Your Brain - YouTube.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: Games - EX Community . The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
  101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

View solution in original post

16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I successfully quit using Chantix on my first and only attempt at it over 8 1/2 years ago.  I had none of the warned about side effects, but if you experience any, talk to your doctor.  There are scheduling and dosage adjustments that can be made to reduce them.  As important as your quit aid is how you prepare and plan for your quit.  Becoming knowledgeable about this addiction is important, as is changing up your routines, writing down your reasons for quitting and the activities you think will work to distract yourself through any tough times.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: Nicotine and Your Brain - YouTube.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: Games - EX Community . The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
  101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

mistp3709

What is the chantix supposed to do to help you stop?  I've been taking it for 2 weeks now and don't see or feel any differences.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@mistp3709 Welcome to the Ex.  There are three ways to use Chantix to quit.  Normally, as you decrease your smoking for about 12 weeks, your desire to smoke  will dwindle.  Aids have helped many of us to be successful, but you still have to do the work   I tried many aids in the past and I expected them to do all  the work.  I was wrong and failed every time.  If you haven't done so already, educate yourself about nicotine addition and create a quit plan with the tools and new associations you'll use to be successful.  Knowledge and preparation have helped many quitters achieve their goal of becoming a non-smoker.

And we're here for you.  That support from other quitters can make all the difference.  

Keep moving forward on your journey.  You can do this and stay close for support.

Barb

bschjami

I'm currently on Chantix and Monday will be 2 weeks smoke-free. I'm struggling with this medication though. Ever since I finished my starter pack and started taking it twice daily and not smoking my tastebuds are all screwed up. Everything I eat tastes like rotten fish and I have that smell lingering in my nose all the time. My body violently rejects all foods and vomits anything I put on my mouth. I can only keep water down. I have tried saltines, bread, popsicle, Sprite. Broth, white rice, baked potato; you name it my body rejects it. Who knew my punishment for smoking would be death by starvation. I quit smoking so my surgeon will do surgery. He wouldn't if I was still smoking. My smoking consultant said it would cause nausea and I need to pick my battles. Right now I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown; I'm VERY Angry and I stay in my bedroom cuz it's pretty sad when you can't stand yourself and your family can't either. I hate the person;(monster), I have turned into. Hopefully no one else has this experience.

Barbscloud

@bschjami Welcome to the ex and congrats on 2 weeks of success. That is fabulous.  Sorry to hear your having such a difficult time.

Nausea is a common side effect, but I don't see anything in the literature about the symptoms you're describing.  Did your start taking Chantix before your quit smoking? Not eating is not good for your health!   

You could also be experiencing some withdrawal symptoms from nicotine that can explain feeling angry and sad.  That is a temporary reaction to the loss of nicotine.  It's important to replace lost dopamine when quitting smoking. So try to get out of your room and get moving.  Walking is great way to refocus your thoughts and get that added boost of dopamine.

Withdrawal symptoms.png

Sounds to me that you should consult with your doctor.  My other thought is to not take Chantix twice a day. 

• "This dosing schedule may not be right for everyone. Talk to your healthcare provider if you are having side effects such as nausea, strange dreams, or sleep problems. Your healthcare provider may want to reduce your dose.

Glad you reached out.  Spend more time on the site for support and join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Consider creating your own post a My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and receive support from fellow quitters.

Keep me posted on how you're doing.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm so sorry @bschjami you are having a tough time on Chantix. You will get through this. You made it two weeks smoke free! I know you are feeling crappy, but that is something to celebrate and be proud of, so please how yourself some grace. 

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s JuliePatricia 

Many here at Ex’s have quit with chantix...You can too...keep close to the support site...it makes a great difference, we are here to help you. Colleen 779 DOF 

Barbscloud

Hi JuliePatricia   I see your still preparing for your quit.  There are a number of aids out there  for you to choose from..  There are successful quitters that have used them all or none.  Chanitx, Welbutrin, and nicotrol inhalers require a prescription.   There several times of NRT that can also assist with your quit.  I used Welbutrin and the inhalers for this quit.  I tried Chantix once, unfortunately I side effects bothered me too much.  But everyone is different.  So make a choice an, pick a date, and move forward with your quit. 

We're be here for you.

Barb

Rosie1917

Hi again JuliePatricia! I'm also using Chantix. I'm just beginning day 7 (seeing your post reminded me it was time to take my morning dose). To date I haven't had any bad side effects, and it has changed the taste and smell of cigarettes. I really like it. I know that I will still need to change my behavior, since not even a pill can solve that, so I've worked on little things in my pre-quit period to break the psychological associations I have with tobacco use - see my blog for links to some helpful articles. 

You are taking a massive and amazing first step to your own freedom! Give yourself a pat on the back. 

Cheers to becomming non-smokers!

-Rosie