cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

When did you know enough was enough

I've been thinking about quitting for so long and just haven't felt like I've reached the point where I really have to. I don't want to smoke u till I have  a hole in my throat but I also haven't been conscious of worsening health on my end. So I want to know what you're "I have to quit" moment was. 

Labels (1)
22 Replies
Thesegoto11

Why did I quit?  Here's why:

1. Over 50. (A lot of people quit in their 50s.  They're tired of being jerked around by this stupid dirty habit that's so small in its significance and power.  Plus, after being lucky health-wise so far, why push it?  Everyone knows how unhealthy smoking is for you.)

2. Within a few months, both Federal and Sate governments raised the sin-taxes on cigarettes by over $1.50 a pack.  Not gonna' pay it was my attitude.

3. Came down with the flu.  (Great time to quit because you don't want to smoke anyway.)

4. A clogged A/C filter was polluting the house.

5. Ate food that had been contaminated with microwaved plastic. 

So, to summarize, getting older, a dislike for paying more than my fair share of taxes, sick with the flu, and a polluted environment. Everything came together in a Tsumani of Quit.  The depth of my decision to quit cannot be put into words.  It's bedrock.  That's why I quit--total disgust.

Rachy2283

I had a cough for 2 years and then wham husband gets a serious cough ..his is cancer of the lungs. It's spreading and he's on oxygen.  He is 38 years old. That was my reason.  Who will take care of the kids (5 of them) if something happens to us?  

meWisconsin

Only you can decide "when enough is enough." We all know that smoking is bad for us. Just because you don't notice any smoking related issues doesn't mean there aren't any. Sometimes these issues hide deep down inside us until it is too late to correct them.

Make a commitment to quit. You know you want to. This site has fantastic help available if you want it.

Terry

anaussiemom

Unfortunately there is not a magic answer for most of us.   Some know they have to, others  feel it's time for so many reasons.  
A slow suicide of smoking is not the way to live life, I kept telling myself over and over in 2020.  I felt ashamed, who could help me if I don't help myself and turning 60 as well....
MHO

Blessings to you.
zzzzz.gif

Cousin-Itt

I almost waited to long.  I always thought I was somewhat healthy even if I did smoke I believed like most cigarette smoking wouldn't hurt me just other people.

With that said I decided to quit the day I awoke in the hospital on a ventilator, my hands tied to the bed, my wife and sons staring down at me with a smile of relief.  I had a large growth on the upper of my right lung  thankfully non cancerous  After 2 weeks in the hospital I came home with COPD and couldn't walk 50 feet without gasping for air.  I had a slow recover.  I was highly depressed ENOUGH you get the Picture

My point I lied to myself  I became the other person.

Quitting is very doable Don't quit like I did

After 4 plus years I now walk everyday 3.5 to 5 miles 

Wishing you the best

anaussiemom

A scary beginning and a lovely journey of walking for 3 or miles a day. Have a blessed weekend Cousin-Itt  
zzz.gif

Cousin-Itt

Thank you Kim

I wish it on no one. I put my wife and boys thru hell

As far as walking I slowly added goals each day Like 5 extra house or up the next hill.  One day a weekend Joyce and I will walk together Spring Summer and Fall we do walk thru the woods Winter time we usually walk at Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum

Quitting was the best thing I ever did

sweetplt

Hi Stopsmoking1997 and Welcome to Ex’s...

I am glad you found our site.  We are in this journey together and here to help you out...be sure to read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and keep close to the support site...

My aha moment was I was tired of smoking...had the “I am tired of all the years of smoking...”...I had cut down so much that I thought, “why am I smoking?” I have so many health issues and no matter what I knew quitting wouldn’t correct them, but it would help...so I thought this would be my third and last quit...and I am so done and happy without the smokes...wishing you to start the quit journey....Happy Friday ~ Colleen 781 DOF 

MarilynH

My husband quit two and a half months before I did due to a health scare with copd luckily it was mild but it was enough to scare him into quitting smoking, he'll be Smokefree 7 years come the 25th of April after smoking 43 years I continued to smoke outside of course then I had an appointment with a Dr, he didn't like the sound of my lungs so he set up a breathing test which showed mild copd that's when I realized that I it was time to quit so I found this site and joined, I'll have 7 years quit on the 14th of July it wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination after 40 years of smoking at least 30 smokes a day but with the help of this community I made it through and you will too plus we're all here to help you in any way we can. Stopsmoking1997