cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

missellen

Fell off the Wagon :(

Hi again, 

It's been a couple of years since I posted.  I guess I thought I didn't need as much support once I reached a certain point in my quit.  I sort of felt that if I kept contributing or even reading, I'd be tempted to smoke again. BIG MISTAKE and really not logical at all.

Needless to say, I am smoking again and have been for a while.  I have a new quit date set for 2/1/21.  I am working with a QuitLine via my job and they text/call me often and sent me support materials and the patch in the mail.  I'm on the fence about wearing the patch right now--I'll see how I feel as I approach the quit date. 

The pandemic and working from home since March kind of played into me smoking, but honestly, I just wanted to smoke--regardless of the excuses--and I did. And of course now, I regret it, so I am going to quit again.  I am going to quit and quit and quit until it sticks. 

I hope everyone has been well and dealing with the craziness of the last year or so okay.    It's nice to be back, even if the reason isn't any good.

Ellen K.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
8 Replies
indingrl

EllenK

Rosie1917

I relapsed too! And I'm in a similar mindset - I'm going to quit and quit and quit until it sticks. I liked the patch. It took several times using it before I finally decided that it was decent enough, I just wasn't thinking about the drug addiction the right way. I thought the patch would fix me. The main thing is to keep in mind that there is not a single 'cure all'...there is going to be cravings and we are responsible for acting on those or not acting on them. A craving is not a command. 

I just started taking Chantix 2 days ago, and have set my new quit date for January 23rd. In the meantime, I'm boning up on my tools for stress management, starting to adjust my behaviors and re-re-re-re-re-reading the Allen Carr book. Very much looking forward to being free from this drug.

I found this blog post to be really useful: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2020/10/07/rationalizing-smoking 

Hope to be able to compare notes in the coming days and weeks!

Cheers

missellen

Thanks, Rosie.  Yep, I am getting ready to re-read Allen Carr's book, as well!  Here's to us doing it this time!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

SO happy you (both) are reading the Allen Carr book again.  It was a huge contributor to my successful quit (with Chantix!) 8 1/2 years ago on my first and only attempt at it!   Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

AnnetteMM

The Alan Carr book was HUGE for me as well. Understanding how addiction works was really eye-opening for me, and has kept me on the quit path.

The Law of Addiction states, "Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

Rachy2283

So glad you came back!!!! That's amazing!! You can do this.  Just remember N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever...No reason is a GOOD reason to light up!! Take it one day at a time!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Rachael 13 DOF

elvan

Welcome back missellen‌ & Rosie1917‌ Glad to hear from both of you. Make a plan! Decide what you will do instead of smoking & remember NOPE, NMW No Matter What! Just keep stacking your days, nothing will quit FOR you, you have to be committed, but we will support you on this journey.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Welcome again Ellen.  Happy to see you created a blog to reintroduce yourself.  

Barb

0 Kudos