cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dsprague

Scented Candles

Does the aroma of a scented candle both you after you quit smoking or is it me ?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

If you burned them when you smoked, you may still have that association.  If not - no idea except they smoke and that might cause a trigger?

dsprague

Yes we did use them, didn’t seem to bother me then but now it’s like a shortness of breath? Strange. Thanks for your thoughts Youngatheart.7.4.12

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Your sense of smell may have become stronger since you quit smoking..  Your sinuses may be recognizing odors that you hadn't before.  Your sense of smell will change when you quit.  You may have never noticed the actual smell because of the smoke..48 hours after quitting, your ability to smell and taste improves. The nerve endings damaged by smoking begin to regrow, improving your sense of smell and taste.

dsprague

Very true with what you said, understand that.

0 Kudos
elvan

They bother me & they also bother my son who has asthma. Both of us feel short of breath around candles. Maybe because they need oxygen to burn? We are also both uncomfortable with strong scents so that has nothing to do with oxygen. I am short of breath most of the time anyways, he isn’t.

Ellen

dsprague

I never used to be but since I quit some of them take my breath away. I still like the aroma, guess just have to be careful.

YoungAtHeart

You might try scents that aren't overly cloying - like maybe citrus?

Barbscloud

I also know someone with asthma that can't stand having candles burning.

dsprague

No one has said I have asthma but it seems like since I quit when I smell one it takes my breath away. Starting to make me nervous 

0 Kudos