cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CathyC1332

FRIDAY January 15, 2021

Sometimes I feel like I am banging my head on the wall.  I can really beat myself up. I have been reading neat posts. I see my doctor today a week before surgery.  I hope he doesn't get upset and cancel the surgery. He told me to quit smoking on Dec 2. It's been hit and miss. Mostly miss. I feel overwhelmed and tell myself it is not the best time to quit. Is there ever a best time other than now inspite and despite. Well I am gonna keep quitting until I get it right. Changed my quit date again. Up and down. Awwwwww.  Til next time. Stay safe. Newbie 1.

Labels (1)
12 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry I have not read your profile but I will. How are you going about quitting? Cold Turkey?  You can have most of the nicotine out of your system in roughly three days if you fast from smoking. Replace it with lots of water and juice to help detox the body. Along with /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=883a... .  Come here before you smoke. We will support you. Have you read Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quitting Smoking?  It helped me. Hang out here.

sweetplt

CathyC1332 Sorry to say, there is no good time (always excuses) to quit smoking...so you just have to do it...honestly, with an upcoming surgery, you should want to cancel it ... it is so important to quit smoking before going under for surgery.  I am not being mean, but giving you a bit of reality...You can do this, you are no different from any of us who smoked for 40 years...we are here to help you, but we can’t do the work...make the choice and you can’t smoke what you don’t keep buying...

YoungAtHeart

What are you going to do differently?  If it's not your commitment that is holding you back, then it's your knowledge, or effort.  I hope you didn't keep any cigarettes in your possession "just in case."  That is only giving yourself permission to fail.

If you haven't read the Carr book  - get it and do it now.

If you haven't changed up your routines, start doing it now.

If you haven't written down things you can do when it gets tough, do it now.

This isn't going to happen by just wanting it.  You have to work at it, but

You CAN do this!  I just know you can!  Keep at it until you do!

Nancy

Barbscloud

The important thing is, whatever you do, don't give up.  You can do this.  Let us know what the doc says.

Barb

elvan

Please come here BEFORE you smoke, put the word HELP in the subject of your blog. Absolutely get rid of all smoking paraphernalia that you may have around,, DON’T set yourself up to lose your quit. Do let us know what the doc says about the surgery.

Ellen

I know a little about that. I needed my wisdom teeth pulled but when I learned I needed to stop smoking before surgery and after surgery til they heal, I said no thanks. I still have the wisdom teeth. Things we will do to smoke. Crazy

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

If you have been told to quit smoking, did you discuss medications? Not making a recommendation to take medications, just wondering if it was discussed. 

CathyC1332

Today we went over the surgical procedure.  I actually brought up about smoking.  I asked if I could use patches and lozenges at the same time and before and after surgery.  Doctor said while it is not an ideal situation it is okay. So that's my plan. I watched the mayo clinic doctors video. It sounds like it might be beneficial. Regardless of smoking or not smoking there is a risk of heart attack, blood clots, etc. The bad effect of nicotine is it affects healing.  So that's where I am at. I am exhausted and I need rest to be strong. I have so many ideas and projects to focus on so I just have to get my daily routine in order. Stay safe. Newbie

elvan

Proud of you CathyC1332‌!  Glad you talked to your surgeon.

Ellen

0 Kudos