cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gotee71

I want to quit

Hello,

I've decided to quit smoking again.  The site suggests that I quit 2 weeks from today, probably to develop a game plan.  I'm really tired of smoking.  I hate feeling like I can't live with it, and can't live without it.

Ismail

8 Replies

I think you are totally ready to quit. When that feeling of can’t live with and can’t live without, you just got to pick the one that is a better choice and better choice is deciding to stop poisoning yourself. I know that fear. I though how will I not smoke? How can I not smoke? You have to just do it and believe me, you will conquer that fear. It’s not easy. You have to educate yourself on how you’re going to fight the cravings. The physical withdrawals is short (maybe a week) but then it becomes a mental game. You’re fighting yourself! I’m sure others with respond with better suggestions soon. I have to go but I’ll check back on you. 

maryfreecig

Yes, plan, plan, plan. Feelings are unavoidable, but taking action by planning helps you get beyond just having sick and tired of being sick and tired. You have come to the right place. Ex is already rooting for you!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community, Gotee71 !

What will you do differently THIS time?  Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I suggest you read, plan, prepare, get active here for support,  and commit to never smoking another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT. We can help with all but the last.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you decide to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.    Get rid of all cigarettes when you quit.  Keeping any around is just giving yourself permission to fail.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Thesegoto11

Welcome to the club.

There are more ex-smokers in the US (46M) than smokers (34M). 72% of current smokers say there's something about the habit that makes them want to quit. How can that many be wrong?

We all have a "disgust quotient" that cannot be crossed. That was the trigger for me. Hope you find yours too. Good luck.

JACKIE1-25-15

Quitting is doable if you put in the work. 

elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ has given you some great advice & links. You have two weeks to do the reading & make a plan. I came here every morning & every evening & l read blogs & comments & paid attention to what was helping other people to keep their quits. I did a purge of all smoking paraphernalia, including 8 full packs of cigarettes l had left in a carton that l gave to a friend who l KNEW was not going to quit. The one pack l had that had been opened, l ran under water & tore the cigarettes into tiny, wet pieces. It was quite cathartic. It’s been very close to 7 years now & l have never regretted quitting.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Welcome.  Some quitters quit on the spot, while other quitters find it useful to pick a quit date and use that time to prepare.  It worked for me.  My quit date was a couple of weeks in the future.  I attended a smoking cessation class, used Welbutrin (also used nicotrol inhalers) which you begin taking while you're still smoking. I was lucky to have stumbled across the Ex a week prior to my quit date.   Using that time to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and creating a quit plan can be a real benefit to being successful.   I also cut down for that week on  a strict schedule.   Everyone's journey is unique, so do what works best for you.  Having support from other quitters to cheer you on and support you on your journey helps many quitters achieve their goal.  We're here for you.  Just reach out anytime you need encouragement or want to share your experience.

One day at a time.

Barb

sweetplt

That my dear is addiction...we hate to love it...but love to hate it...ugh...glad you found our site ... Welcome Gotee71 ... yes plan for your quit day like no other...keep close to the support site...we are here to help you out...honestly, it takes a lot of hard work, but it is so doable...wishing you a Happy Thursday ~ Colleen 773 DOF