cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

vol876

Heavy emotions and withdrawals-day 8 contemplations

Hi everyone,

I am so pleased to say I’m on day 8. I was completely ready this time around. I chose a date and stuck to it. Through coming here I’ve adopted the n.o.p.e. Mantra. 

I had been a smoker since I was 17. I quit using all drugs and alcohol aside from cigs 3 years and 7 months ago. That was so so difficult, but I feel like I came out on the other side of it. I could not have quit smoking at that time; I was insane and the cigarettes were there through some of my darkest times while getting sober. After months of contemplation I decided to quit smoking. At 34 years old I was smoking 30-40 cigarettes a day. I liked the way they made me feel, they were also a way to run from painful emotions, and enhance positive ones. If I’m being honest with myself it was no different than any other drug I used. But on January 3, 11:30 pm I had my last cigarette. I was and am ready and committed, and most importantly I had my why. Not only did I not want the diseases and issues that come from smoking, I wanted to experience life naturally, ALL of it. I wanted to really LIVE.

Well be careful what you wish for I suppose; my quit has been tough. On day 4 I felt literally ill and totally fatigued, like I had some phantom flu. That only lasted 1 day but everyday it’s something lol. I had been stuffing and stuffing emotions for years. The past few months and years before my quit I had been learning to feel my emotions with compassion in small doses. Since I’ve quit, it’s like someone took the lid off and tough emotions are like flying out. Yesterday it was rageful anger all day. The day before sadness and depression. Today it’s deep anxiety. I just feel through them, observe with compassion and they pass when they do. I’m grateful that I’m dealing, and constructively allowing my body to return to homeostasis and equilibrium. This morning I woke up at 2 am filled with anxiety and could no longer fall asleep. I decided to log on here and share my challenges. On the other hand, my breathing is easier, my heart rate has dropped, and I’m coughing up more and more as the days pass. These are all good signs. My mom, a smoker, sees me in my tough times and suggests I smoke, but I didn’t walk through fire to have to do it all over again.

I haven’t been completely free of substances since I was 16, and this was the final step. It’s hard, and I don’t know what to expect the upcoming weeks. I feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak and that it will only get easier over time, but in the meantime it’s hard. That’s all I can say about that. I pray a lot to my God too, so I feel and hope that is helping as well, 

Tags (1)
5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

In the early days quitting ANY drug is tough - it just is!  But the only way out is through. Feeling all your emotions is part of the journey,  We all hid from them over the years behind a cloud of smoke, a bit of time away, and a hit of dopamine.   All that you are experiencing is totally normal, and it WILL get easier - I promise!

Just take it a day at a time and hang in there until it does!  It will be worth all you are going through - really!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

Quitting is hard. For some it can be one of the hardest things to do but that does not make it impossible.  My favorite scripture that I use often.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. You can do it.  I am so proud that you came and shared your feelings.  You write beautifully.  I hope to get to read more of your writings. I know it will help because it helps me even after a 6 year quit.  Know that you will make it NOPE. Never give up and never give in sometimes we have to hang tougher in the beginning but trust me....it gets easier if you never ever take another puff. Stay quit.  

Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats day 8.  Quitting can be different for each of us.  I had little if any physical withdrawal symptoms--mine was more psychological.  While others suffer from unbelievable physical symptoms.  Be patient with yourself and use your tools to distract.  Deep breathing and exercise are real helpful.   We're here for you, so just reach out if you need support.

Barb

sweetplt

vol876  Congratulations on Day 8 of Freedom...while this is a wonderful milestone you are reaching, you are also very early in your quit journey.  It takes time and lots of hard work.  Your body and mind are healing from all the toxins we have choose to smoke in...keep very close to us...and keep busy...keep focus on your reasons especially to “Live Life Free”... Hang in there and wishing you a happy Monday...~ Colleen 

elvan

What a great job you are doing! Your recognition of your feelings & their power is EXCELLENT! I am sure it has much to do with your recovery from other substances & what you have learned in recovery. I am really impressed, kudos to you for turning down your mom’s suggestion to have a cigarette. You know what you are doing!

Congratulations,

Ellen