cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Linn2331

Day 9 better! So far!

Okay. It is almost 10 a.m. where I am but not a lot of sleep so when I woke, I would read, then fall back asleep. Woke early. Anyway, today just feels a bit better! I am so glad to have found this page because I believe the support really helped and helps! I was about to cave yesterday out of despair and feeling alone in this battle and then found this page! Amen for that! Thank you all! What a great place!

12 Replies
Barbscloud

Congrats on day 9!  I know how much I appreciated the support when I quit.  Coming to the site can be just what you need do keep your quit.  Stay close.

Barb

Linn2331

Hey Barbscloud, thank you! I love this site and I appreciate the support so much! thank you!!!!

0 Kudos
marciem

So glad to hear it, Linn2331‌ !!  Better days are ahead, with some blips and snags of course, but it does get better.  The road on this journey isn't always linear, you can expect some side-steps and detours and slow-downs.  As long as you don't smoke, you'll get where you want to be.

It really can be like a roller coaster ride, and it takes a while for the ride to stop.  I'm sorry that the "three days and done" just doesn't work, it seems like it should, but so much of quitting is psychological/behavioral and getting beyond those things just takes time and patience.  It keeps getting better and easier, it really does.

Keep this site on speed-dial  .  All of us who have long term quits benefited from support in our early days, and this is one way to pay it forward.  

Also, do not be afraid to jump in and encourage any newer quitters you see!!  Your help is amazing to someone who only has a day or two, or a few hours, under their belt   .  They'll see you as the Rock Star you are, and it will also help solidify your own thoughts regarding your quit.  Win-win!!!

Linn2331

Thank you! Yes. That three day thing was such a myth. BUT, I am so glad to be here! I have trying to navigate around and say hi to other newbies like me and hopefully encourage.  Thank you marciem for the support and encouragement!

YoungAtHeart

Re:  Insomnia

Be sure to stop caffeine after about mid-afternoon (that includes some sodas, teas and chocolate!).  It has a bigger effect on your body chemistry when you quit smoking  Be sure your sleeping room is completely dark and cool.  You can try taking a Benadryl (if it is OK for you to take it) - it has drowsiness as a side effect.  You might also try melatonin in supplement form or warm some milk right before bed.  Turn off all electronics at least two hours before bedtime. 

Take a nap if you are able to so you don't get overtired.  You need to give yourself TLC in these early days.

Congrats on NINE days!!!

Linn2331

YounGatheart, thank you.. I was just walking my dog and my chest got all funny and I got dizzy. Is that normal? Not asking for medical advice but I do not now where to look for things like this on here. Has anyone else had stuff like this on like day 9? The last three or so hours were off and on for cravings? Thank you for the advice too. Much needed. 

0 Kudos
elvan

You have gotten GREAT advice & it sounds like you are doing really well. Keep going.

Ellen

Linn2331

Thank you! Elvan ! I like it here so much. Just a scary journey in some ways!

elvan

Of COURSE it is scary. If you click on the little magnifying glass on the right side of the page, you can search symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.

Ellen