cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dsprague

What do you tell yourself when you want a cigarette

Myself, no I don’t, I AM FREE from you over and over!

13 Replies
MarilynH

My go to was and still is N.O.P.E.~ Not One Puff Ever ~ N.M.W ~ No Matter What was what I used to yell in my early days and weeks of quitting smoking that I don't smoke anymore I'd yell it over and over that I don't do that anymore it worked for me but it took time to relearn life without the smokes, I'm glad there was no one around when I was doing the yelling lol!

dsprague

Well put!

Linn2331

Love this! Yes, as you know day 9 now for me but oh have I done some yelling! And crying! But I have started saying the NOPE. Thank you!

sweetplt

dsprague It is rare I ever have this want anymore, but in the early days, I would talk to myself and say “keep busy and tomorrow will be better” now if it happens, I say, “you don’t do that anymore”....~ Colleen 

0 Kudos
Giulia

Oh so many things I would tell myself.  "Get over it."  "You CAN do this."  "Attitude Stupid."  "Buck up."  "Think of it as a challenge.  What am I SUPPOSED TO LEARN FROM THIS MISERABLE EXPERIENCE!"   "I WILL NOT give in."  "La la la la la!"  'JUST GO AWAY!!"  I said that  a lot to my nicodemon.  JUST GO AWAY AND LEAVE ME ALONE!  Some say you should't personalize it as a separate entity or "demon."  It worked for me to do so.  I think of it as the lesser of myself (or worst of myself) fighting against that Best of myself.  That Best of me knows what's good for me.  And knows what I should do to make that happen.  The worst of me is the weaker part, the desperately needy part, the part that has no self-discipline.  The worst of me chooses the easy way out.  The Best of me knows that it's the easy way out but that ultimately sticking with a commitment produces the results I actually want.  And that Best of me knows that if I DO stick to my commitments, I'll feel better about myself, be more empowered and happier ultimately.

These days, after almost a 15 year quit I tell myself - "yeah yeah, been there, done that, don't like the craving hope it goes  away soon and I know it will but what a pain in the butt until it does." But at this point there is no way I am going to smoke.  Because I really REALLY don't want to go back to where I was.  I mean seriously.  When I have a craving now it's just such a pain in the butt.  I'm no longer surprised by them but they're just an annoyance.  There is no serious thought of putting a cigarette in my mouth.  I may like the smell but... the cost (on so many levels) of putting a cigarette in my mouth at this point is - out of the realm of logical, sane thinking for me.  So what do you do?  You take it as given that you're just going to have a craving now and again and put up with it and get over it.  

elvan

NOPE, works for me.

Barbscloud

I Don't Do That Anymore

YoungAtHeart

Since I don't DO that anymore, what else can I do?

STOP IT was another of my tools to stop arguing with myself about smoking.

maryfreecig

No, not today---and that was 7.25 years ago!!!  Whatever works!

0 Kudos