cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ljet3245

Are these withdrawal symptoms normal?

Jump to solution

Hello, I was up to a full pack per day for past 3 years (ecigs prior for 5-6 years). I just quit on Dec 26th, 2020 and smoked only one each morning and one at bedtime for first 5 days.  I used Step 1 nicotine patches rest of day.  Threw away rest of that pack away on day 6 and decided to use patches only from time I wake until bedtime when I remove it, so been TOBACCO FREE 5 DAYS now, with patches. I am in so much pain!!! Chest pain (bad, tight, feels like pulled muscles in rib cage), congestion, headaches, feet tingling here and there, dizziness few times, ANXIETY and INSOMNIA (less than 2-3 hours per night of sleep).  I want to sleep so badly!!  Been quarantined for months now and COVID free (have chronic lyme disease).  Been using a medical detox used for lyme.  Has anyone else experienced withdrawals THIS bad???  I'm really struggling and my doc seems to think this is NORMAL for some odd reason?  Please help.  Seemed much easier to just smoke!  Is this really normal?  How long does this last if so???

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Barbara145

You are right.  It is much easier to smoke.  If your goal is to quit smoking.  Say to yourself outloud " I don't do that anymore."  Quitting smoking is life-changing in miraculous ways but it takes work for most of us.  I bet you never heard one person say, "It is easy to quit smokng".  Sounds like you have talked to your doctor about your symptoms That is good.  I smoked for 50 years.  I have been quit for 7 years with the help of this site.  I came here everyday for at least a year. It is a journey to quit smoking.  I truly don't even miss them anymore.  My life is so much better as a non-smoker.  You can do this.  Take really good care of yourself.

View solution in original post

67 Replies
Barbara145

You are right.  It is much easier to smoke.  If your goal is to quit smoking.  Say to yourself outloud " I don't do that anymore."  Quitting smoking is life-changing in miraculous ways but it takes work for most of us.  I bet you never heard one person say, "It is easy to quit smokng".  Sounds like you have talked to your doctor about your symptoms That is good.  I smoked for 50 years.  I have been quit for 7 years with the help of this site.  I came here everyday for at least a year. It is a journey to quit smoking.  I truly don't even miss them anymore.  My life is so much better as a non-smoker.  You can do this.  Take really good care of yourself.

Ljet3245

Nice to meet you, Barbara!  Thank you for the encouragement. I truly need it right now.  If you could quit after 50 years that gives me hope right now I will feel good about this decision some day.  And you're right, never heard anyone say it was easy to quit but guess I selfishly never thought to even ask.  I now know the struggle is real. Every single day gets harder and I assumed the opposite (would get easier).  Took your advice...said it in the mirror a few times.  I did not go buy cigarettes but this is the first day I've wanted to so badly.  Was well on my way too... in the garage sitting in the car, when I decided to search online for help.  That's how badly I want this for myself.  Found this site and spent half an hour in the car creating a profile and learning about this site.  I'll just need to talk to myself out loud again 20 or so more times today, I'm sure. Lol. Thank you!!!  Take care.

dsprague

Yeah I have felt pretty much the same , 10 days not smoking it has gotten a little bit better, scary as all get out though. You think you are going to die, but the best thing is, you are getting Better!! Kind of makes it easier and more positive. At least for me,

Ljet3245

Okay. Thank you!!!  I was on my way to hospital yesterday it got so bad, but called my doc first and she insisted it's just "withdrawal" and to "hang in there", but she knew I was quitting on Christmas and suggested the Nicoderm CQ.  I was trying my best to convince her I was having a heart attack or stroke of some mild sort. Lol. I didn't even go into the office yesterday I feel so bad (and today), and I've always heard I'm a workaholic.  I had no idea I would feel like this.  Not fun at all. Glad to hear it's eased up on you after 10 days. I'm only 5 days in now without a cigarette.  Once I crawled out of bed and put on another patch the chest pain reduced greatly after an hour or so.  But I can't sleep it gets so bad at night and my mind races.  I'm usually out like a light the minute my head hits the pillow!  Anyway, thanks again. Actually feel a bit better knowing I'm not going to die today! Lol. Just needed to hear it from someone who has been thru it because this is unbelievable.

AnnetteMM

I had a lot of pain when I first quit. I especially had what I called lung pain. Like you described, a tight chest with pulled muscles. It's a healing pain, though, and it does ease up eventually and go away. Nicotine effects are in all our systems, so when we remove it, the systems go haywire for awhile. Headaches, tingling, insomnia...all typical. Take deep breaths, try to relax as much as possible.

Ljet3245

Thank you, Annette!!  (That's my middle name) Feel like I'm losing it over here. Never felt like this before.  It all hit me hard at once the past two days, so I'd decided to give up this morning already thinking just a few would make me feel better, but then I looked for help online and found this site instead.  I have got to stop smoking though because the toxins are bad for lyme disease (doc and my mom stay on me about it). And I'm truly just sick of it.  I waste so much time chain smoking outside because I never smoked in my house.  Also have a 19 yr daughter and she hates that I do it too.

Anyway, nothing I've read on the few general "quit smoking" sites I'd seen said it would feel horrible.  They just explain how quickly lungs clear out, congestion and feeling more energy with timelines of how healthy you become again someday.  The ones I read skipped the nonstop pain on top of no sleep after you skate thru the first few days feeling just fine.  Thanks again. 

dsprague

It will get better!!!

redpepper

Hey ljet3245. Welcome!

I have quit many times. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. And yes. It sucks to quit. The pain is real. I went through the super sleepy all the time thing. Can you allow yourself some naps, quiet time alone, etc.? I had to do that. I'm still doing that! The people in here are way-showers. Read and read what they say. Take what works and use it. This is a great place for support. I'm back this time only seven days. Last time was 30 or 40 something days. Once was 6.5 yrs. And so on. Smoking is a stupid waste of time and money. Smoking kills. And on and on. I hope I don't ever have to go through the first days of withdrawal ever again! No more quits. You can do this. You can! I can! We all feel your pain. I am not comfortable myself right now. But I am working my a-- off to do things that the long timers in here suggest. There are millions of tools offered here. Pick some and follow...Hang in here, friend. redpepper

Ljet3245

Thanks so much, Redpepper!  I am dead serious this site...all of you.  Only reason I didn't buy cigarettes and give up today (and right now, tonight).  I was about to get in the car again at 1am...came back here and it's now 2:30am.  Just reading, smiling, crying, hopeful and responding but I am not smoking right now!!!  I can't thank you all enough for helping me thru this.  It's no joke.  Sheesh  Yes.  We both can and will do this.  And I'm with you.  I never ever want to have to feel like this again.  Hope I never forget how bad I feel right now.  Just so glad I came right back here tonight even though my eyes are burning like crazy. Lol  Thank you!