cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Big slip

I’ve been clinically depressed and worried so after crying for hours and hours, I lit up not one, but a half a pack of cigarettes. Now, I need to quit again or go back to maintaining my quit. I smoked for 2 days and I’m still not feeling good but I have to fight this fight. I just don’t know what to expect after cheating so strongly 

8 Replies
indingrl

Thank you so much Julie for YOUR courage and SELF honesty and no worries I had a TOUGH time at  stopping smoking and smoked over and over and it - TOOK ME -  a long time to STAY quit - YOU are not alone Julie and please call YOUR therapist for clinical depression - WE are recovering NICOTINE ADDICTS not PROFESSIONAL therapists - thank you so much for sharing -  and I am glad for you Julie that NOW is a good quit time and - please CALL your therapist NOW - thank you so much

sweetplt

So sorry Juliejules2456 you went back to smoking...but don’t beat yourself up...get back in journey and start over...

Like indingrl above me said, we are not professional therapists...you need to speak to yours about quitting and your clinical depression...they should be able to suggest medicines, talk therapy, etc., instead of smoking.

We are here for you hon...please talk to your Doctor...~ Colleen 760 DOF 

Ralph1955

Been there myself many times.  Don't focus on that slip, focus on positive energy and your will to quit.  You can do it.  I was a 50 year smoker and now going on 3 years quit.  

We're All here for you

Barbscloud

First things first.  Are you seeing someone about your depression?  I'm no therapist, but it seems to me if you keep trying to quit and you're not successful, you're only adding to your depression.  A therapist should also be able to provide you with the  foundation to quit smoking--what is the best way for you!  Stay close and keep us posted.  Julie, you can do this--don't give up.

Barb

Yes, I see a therapist for my depression and other traumas that I have going on in my life. I think I just need to talk to him more about trying to stay quit while going through a rollercoaster of very hard emotions. 

maryfreecig

I smoked for a lot of years. Held my head high and declared I'd die of lung cancer. If I were to judge your "cheating" I'd be a hypocrite. Ex is here for you because you are an addict. This is what we do--learn to recover. Most quitters struggle in recovery. I'm glad you are not counting yourself out. Welcome back, Julie.

freeneasy

Julie,you did a good deed by coming back here. Everyone here knows that quitting is not easy. Know this! You can snatch victory out the arms of defeat. You are the 4 star general in your quest for FREEDOM! You are in control. 90% of the the battle is winning the the struggle going on with yourself. That’s hard to grasp when you are grappling with physical discomfort and psychological reliance caused by your addition. It’s tougher yet for people coping with depression. Come here as much as you can.Come here keep an open mind.The sooner you stop the better but understand why You need to and have confidence in yourself. No luck involved in quitting. The fight is yours to win the prize is freedom which is yours for the taking

elvan

Glad you are back, sorry you are experiencing such depression.  I DO hope that you can find the right combination of therapy that helps.  We are here to help you in any way that we can, please remember that.

Ellen