cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Thesegoto11

Smokenders?

Just out of curiosity, recently researched which organizations still conduct smoking-cessation clinics.  Ran across Smokenders, a company I remember from the days when I first quit.  I love success stories, and Inc magazine ran a terrific profile on the company--who started it and why, it's ups and downs, and how it emerged from bankruptcy in 1981 to become a profitable Quit Smoking franchise.  

They currently offer a seven-week online course where you get to smoke for the first five weeks while you learn how to quit.  Believe it costs $300, comes with a money-back guarantee, and touts a high success rate (supposedly verified by a John Hopkins University study).

Does anyone here have an opinion on Smokenders?  Is it a viable program or just another way to separate an addict from his/her money?

11 Replies
Gai.C

I personally wouldn't pay someone to Help Me Do Anything. We All have it in us to Do Anything we want,need to do. Prayer and patches worked for me. I believe I could've done it without patches If I would've truly gave it to God. 

sweetplt

Yeah...No...I threw enough money away on smokes...I went to one “quit smoking thingy” at the Hospital years ago and the instructor never even smoked...really?! She didn‘t have a clue about addiction...Just my 2 cents...Colleen 

Barbscloud

I did everything I could for a successful quit.  I used Welburtin, nicotrol inhalers,  attended a smoking cessation class (free) and found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  I took all the inspiration I could get.

Sootie

I'm with Barbscloud‌  If you think it will help....go for it. 

I was a cheapskate and wanted to save the money from quitting smoking....so I didn't want to do patches, gum or anything because I wanted all the money. I thought that would motivate me and it did.

But everyone is NOT me.....

I did read a book  a LONG time ago written by (I believe) one of the founders of Smokenders. It was called You Can Quit. It was a good book.

Stay Strong....the most important thing is if it helps you quit.....it's worth it.

indingrl

Thank you for sharing YOUR success with Smokenders the days when YOU FIRST QUIT- WAY TO GO

0 Kudos
elvan

I tried Smoke Enders years ago when l was still working as an RN, it was paid for by the hospital where l worked. There was never any mention of smoking as being an addiction. I paid very close attention & l did what l was told to do BUT l returned to smoking a very short time after taking the course. I also tried hypnosis, again, l did as l was advised. When l found this site, it worked. I WORKED! I read everything that was advised, l came to the site every morning & every evening. I am coming up on 7 years soon thanks to this site, the education, the support, & my own commitment. EX works!

Ellen

prjimm01

Go Elvan!  good to see you are still going strong!

Giulia

I can't speak to Smokenders per se, but I did take one program long ago, I think it was the American Lung Cancer Program.  Boring as hell.  My opinion is - if you dedicate yourself to the program, and do your homework AND if they offer a support site - (which if they don't, there's no point as far as I'm concerned), why not try it.  But without a support site to back it up, with ANY PROGRAM, you have no consistent, continuous place to go to maintain your commitment, motivation and be held accountable.  Most us can quit for a limited amount of time.  It's maintaining a quit for a year or two that separates the long-term Elders from the forever repeaters.  

You can set a quit date here five weeks hence, spend every day here reading and studying and learning  how to quit while you're still smoking and follow the EX Plan which is promoted by the Mayo Clinic.  And it's free here!  Mayo also has an in-house, residential  clinic that you can pay for (closed right now due to the pandemic). Nicotine Dependence Center - Residential Treatment Program in Minnesota - Mayo Clinic 

If paying money to quit smoking gives one more incentive to quit - great.  For me, the American Lung program, Smoke Away and hypnosis did not enable me to secure a long-term quit.  SUPPORT did.  It was only through the education I got from other smokers  who had quit (not the "experts," many of whom have the knowledge but not the personal experience of having smoked) that I understood what it was all about and how to conquer it.

A bit off topic of your question, sorry.  No opinion on Smokenders, but sure do have opinions on other stuff!  lol

prjimm01

you tell em my friend!

0 Kudos