cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

arubablue

Please give me courage

so glad I found this site!  I quit years ago and made it through 4 years.  was a while ago, but I have to quit smoking! my date is January 1st, 2021.  going to be very challenging as my husband quitting at the same time.  omg!  Im scared because I remember how horrible I was the first 5 months last time..  will be using nrt, but it didnt really help to much last time.  Took me 1 year to get over it.  How can I become more confident

Labels (1)
29 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  Confidence comes with each day of not smoking.  We can encourage you but courage comes from within  Education is the key to a successful quit to build confidence and courage. It is like going back to school but you are relearning how and what you think about the addiction to nicotine. . With the help of the to EX Community you can have a forever quit.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine. Know the LAW!  If you Go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and review the videos and learn more about what your triggers are and how to prepare when the urge hits.  I was advised to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info which was very helpful to me is  www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home.  To get help on navigating this site go to. Community Help‌  

I believe you can quit smoking if you make quitting smoking your number one priority. You can do this if you make up your mind that you can.  Relearning your thinking that you do not have to smoke is a good beginning.  No matter what make a commitment never ever take another puff.  NOPE.  Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke SINAO smoking is not an option.  That is NOPE concept Not one puff ever. Be willing to do the work and your confidence will grow. It is not by will power but willingness to do this.   Quitting is the easy part.  Staying quit takes work. It can be a roller coaster ride but if you are willing to do whatever is necessary not to take another puff you can make it.  Never give up, never give in. Hang tough Stay Close. 

elvan

Stay close to the site, read everything you can about nicotine addiction & remembet it will get easier. Keep busy, drink lots of water & remember that you own your quit. No one can quit FOR you & no one can make you smoke. Remember NOPE, Not One Puff Evet!

Welcome to EX, we will support you in every way that we can.

Ellen

green1611

Welcome...

You have great friends here to support your quit.

You will succeed this time. NOPE !

All the best !

RoseH

Ask your “Higher Power” to help you!  I choose to call mine God!  You can do this!  We are all here to help you arubablue

indingrl

This prayer HELPED ME and still DOES - I am so glad YOUR here and YOU have FOUR YEARS EXPERIENCE - just because YOU CHOSE to SUCK ON DEATH STICKS AGAIN - YOUR still have full knowledge and wisdom about your PERSONAL nicotine addictions and YOU KNOW how to STAY A NON SMOKER because YOU LIVED FOUR YEARS AS A NON SMOKER - WAY TO GO and I believe in YOU - MY sweetheart and I know YOU will be VICTORIOUS in living as a NON SMOKER ONE DAY AT A TIME -  Yahoooooooooo - and remember to blog BEFORE you take that first puff over YOU -  in HIS love - I love you MY n.o.p.e. family member  

sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s arubablue 

So glad you are making the decision to quit smoking...and your husband too...be sure to know that each has to take care of their own quit.  Start telling yourself this is the best thing you will do for your body and mind.  You are an addict and it is time to take back your freedom...I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and plan for your quit day like no other...read the blogs/posts about addiction/quitting try and become knowledgable.  Get rid of all smoking paraphernalia the night before your quit ... come to the support site often for help and to encourage others on this journey.  We are here to help each other...keep busy /blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=7... Take this journey a “step at a time”... You can do this....Colleen 757 DOF 

Cousin-Itt

Welcome arubablue

This was hung on our refrigerator when my boys became teenager and I read it often in the early part of my quit.

It helped me.    You have a lot of good advice here Find what works for you

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

― Frank Herbert, Dune

Gai.C

Welcome. U are in the best place. There's alot of Good Information here. U have to make a plan and stick to it. No amount of NRT will work if you're not committed. If u don't have any u can't smoke any. Drink plenty of cold water. Take walks. Listen to your favorite music. Call a friend.  Prayer and patches worked for me.  Post when u need Help there's Always someone to Help. 76F82921-2316-4DD6-990B-FD69B41E5DF8.jpegThis helped me Tremendously 

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. This community is rooting for you right now! And will be here for you every day.

I didn't have a lot of confidence when I quit, but I did manage to not pick up a cigarette. I was one of those that understood this basic rule--but it so bugged me. I also didn't start with Ex. Cold turkey and mostly on my own. I do not recommend it. Smart turkey (learn and share) and support matter. And it all happens just one day at a time.

Because smoking is and addiction to nicotine, I think what hurt the most in quitting is that I wanted to be cured right away. No bad feelings, no unhappy thoughts, no upset moments. Really who wants this kind of stuff at anytime? But as an addict, a bad moment felt like the end of the world!!!

That was seven years ago. Smobriety is what I strive for and I always hope that I might affect a new quitter to the positive by being here. 

Here are a few blogs about quitting that you might get inspired by--if not, just keep reading, something is bound to help.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2020/11/12/the-willpower-paradox-usi... 

Helpful Blogs, Discussions, Comments, Videos, Links, Info Re Quitting 

Getting Better 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-...