cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CathyC1332

Sunday December 20, 2020

Counting sleep time, I made not smoking 14 hours. I got up and did other things rather than my daily smoking routine.  I am getting a new routine in place. Then pretty much just sat and cried.  I finally got myself focused on a project.  I don't like the withdrawals.  I am half way through Allen Cars book and finding it extremely interesting.  He says keep smoking while reading and then when done with the book make a decision.  I think I will make a favorable choice and quit smoking.  I KNOW by slowly quitting I am prolonging the inevitable and yes I am making excuses. I don't  want or need lectures at this time. His writing hits right at home about fear, losing my best friend, not being able to live without a cigarette.  I am finally getting a new perspective as to why I smoke and is a cigarette really the friend I  think it is. Pretty cool.  I can and will quit smoking.  My new quit date is January 1, 2021.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I credit that book and the folks here on this site for my success at quitting on my first and only attempt over eight years ago. 

You've got both now in your favor!  Glad you've set a date.  Now - stay close!

Nancy

maryfreecig

No one likes withdrawals. When I quit, I drove myself crazy hoping to feel better right away. Just couldn't understand how if I'd made a decision to quit then why didn't I feel good when I quit.  It sooooo bugged me to feel helpless about how I felt. Helpless and stupid. How could my brain dominate me in such a crazy way?

For me quitting was never rational. But one thing I understood was how to say no, not now, not today. It took a while to end the belief (caused by addiction) that I had to smoke, that my smoking life was me, that it was something special. I sucked at understanding my situation, I excelled at pushing myself through it no matter what. If pills could have killed my psychological pain, I would have taken them. I also wished I could have a lobotomy. 

I couldn't laugh then. I can now. Everyone deserves a chance to find their quit. You can one day at a time. Ex supports you in your efforts 24/7.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

indingrl

COOL

Thesegoto11

Good for you.  You are definitely on the right track.

sweetplt

Glad you are getting back in the journey CathyC1332 do the work and keep close to us...we are here to help you...plan for January 1st like no other day....wishing you a Happy Monday ~ Colleen 749 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Glad you're back and beginning your journey again.  I admire those who don't give up in their commitment.   A new year and a new you.

Barb

0 Kudos