cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CathyC1332

Keep on keeping on

I failed miserably.  Tonight I began reading Allen Carr's book.  I am actually engaged in it. I am only into the first chapter and can so identify and understand my FEAR of quitting smoking.  Just wanted to pop in. I have been wrestling with myself. I am on a new journey and regardless of the path I am on, I can do this. Stay safe. Until next time

Labels (1)
15 Replies
CathyC1332

My title should read Keep on Keeping on.  I don't know how to edit a mistake. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

if you go to your blog, there is an "edit" top right.  Click on that, wait for the blog to appear in the edit box, fix away and be sure to save.

I'm so glad you are reading the Carr book. I give a lot of credit to my success in my first and only attempt to quit to the information I gained from it.

Albert Einstein said: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."  What ELSE can you do differently when you quit this time?  Maybe write down the reasons you have for quitting to keep with you to review when it gets tough?  Write down things you can do to distract through a crave?  Throw out any nicotine you have left when you quit and ask those around you to keep it out of your sight?  Increase your exercise?  Keep a cold bottle of water handy?  Promise yourself you will blog here BEFORE you give in this time? 

Stay close and let us know when you set your new quit date - do set it SOON!

Nancy

sweetplt

It’s ok CathyC1332 glad you are working it from another perspective.  This is journey isn’t easy, but it is doable...you have to find what is right for you.  Failure is never trying...therefore, you are not a failure hon...don’t be so hard on you...keep close to us for support ...hang in there, and keep on keeping...wishing you a beautiful Saturday ~ Colleen 740 DOF 

0 Kudos
elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ has said it all. We are ALL afraid of change & our addiction counts on it. I cannot tell you how many times l tried to quit before l found EX. READ, PLAN for triggers, don’t be afraid of change, be excited by the possibilities! One day at a time, one FEELING at a time.

Ellen

Barbscloud

It's not a failure, it's a learning experience.   Most of us have multiple attempts at quitting.   Update your quit plan and try to identify what went wrong so the next time your prepared.  And remember, reach out before you smoke.  That's what we're here for.

Barb

Yes definitely throw out EVERY cigarette you have laying around. When I quit I threw out the open packs but kept the unopened because I thought “what a waste.” I realized soon that it’s a huge mistake because I kept thinking of them when I had cravings. I gave them away. I know for sure that if they were around I’d definitely would have smoked then. The temptation is too strong when it’s right there. When you know there’s none around and you have to get in the car and drive some place, that give you pause. You will need something else to replace the cigarettes. I sucked on candy when a crave hit. Today is day 38 snd I’m sucking on candy less often. Yay!

maryfreecig

Hi Cathy, good to hear from you. Thanks for updating where you are at in your quit. A lot of smokers need to (or feel they need to) find a shining moment to quit--a great discovery of courage or insight that leads them to feel positive they are going to quit. I wanted that too. Seven years ago, I found a different reality for myself--I was willing to quit, but it took all I had. I didn't like that. Also, I was pretty upset--ate a lot of junk food, felt awful, questioned reality, wondered if I'd ever forget smoking and on and on. It was really hard. A lot of Exers say that--because for a lot of us it is hard to quit. Even in reading The Easy Way to Quit, a lot of quitters here at Ex say that it still was a lot of work. 

The addiction makes smoking seem so unbreakable. But it is not. Thing is, it takes a good amount of time to wake up from dependency. The first year is about walking the walk in a very strict way, no matter how I felt, I refused to turn back. This was not heroism. I was furious. I wanted out. And with each day that arrived and did not feel better, I felt equal amounts of disgust and resolve to not give up. What a tangle!!! But I didn't smoke. Time, time, time is a cure. Smobriety--walking the walk at all times is the way to get there and stay there.

Today, I don't suffer to stay smober, I relearned life--and so I don't think of smoking as my everything. I once did. Give yourself the time to lose your addiction. A week, a month, six months are good, but only a start. The next time you quit, try to remember, the addiction doesn't just go away, it takes time walking the walk to seriously subdue addiction.

We all can do this, so can you.

indingrl

CONGRATS staying NICOTINE FREE

0 Kudos
Ralph1955

After many failed attempts to quit I discovered it was just another part of a difficult journey.  Just like that saying goes, "if at first you don't succeed try, try again", that's all you have to do.  Few have conquered the quit on the first go around.  It took me 4 times and on that fourth time my mindset was 'I Am No Longer a Smoker'.  I put up signs in the bathroom and on the refrigerator with 2 words -  I Quit.  I also changed my routine which helped me a lot.  Phone calls were no long on the patio where I'd go smoke, after dinner I'd go for a walk and when I walk my dog I have candy in my pocket.  Lots of things you can do to alter your thinking.

You can do it.  I'm nearly 3 years smoke free now after smoking for 50 years and I feel amazing.