Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

vlxedits

Back To Vaping

I quit weed for 9 months, came back to vaping nic for three months

I quit nic for three months, came back to nic for a few weeks

Quit for a month, came back for a week

Quit for 3 weeks, now Ive been back for two days.

My dad is severely addicted to vaping and it's all over the house. My brother does it, his friends do it, my friend online does it. I see people doing it in tv shows, video games, my favorite rapper does it.

So now it's day 1.5 and I've already vaped 10ml or so. Stomach feels like shit. Feeling ashamed of myself.

Only reason I started was cause I feel like a loser. I keep waking up for an hour and having no idea what I woke up for, so I immediately want to go back to sleep.

So I thought, fuck it, just vape. So I stole my dads.

Gonna quit again, just don't know why I should do it.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
66 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

vlxedits‌ that sounds like a very difficult situation.  

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!  I would ask your Dad and others not vape in front of you (and if they do - leave!), and for your Dad to keep his device hidden away to reduce your temptation.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind.  To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Considering vaping to be “safe” is far from a given - there is much research to be done. What we know is that vaping raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack. There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. Recently vaping has been in the headlines because of the possibility of it causing severe lung damage in young people. An August, 2019 study at the University of Pennsylvania showed that a single instance of vaping immediately lead to reduced vascular function: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190820101601.htm

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time. That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

If you decide to use a quit aid, I can give you some pointers on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each device use, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each use off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a puff just because you think you do

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

vlxedits

We eat dinner, we hang out, he vapes. I leave? That would be pretty awkward..

Also, I don't want to ask someone to not vape in front of me. It's far out.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I am just trying to give you my best advice from eight years of being free of the addiction and reading of others' experiences.  It might help you to go for a quick walk after meals, anyway - to break the association with vaping.  I would hope he would support your effort to break free if you explain it in a non-judgmental way.  You might offer to use your savings to buy something you BOTH want?

If you need to be around others vaping, then you  need to come up with strategies to cope with it.  Maybe pop in a menthol cough drop?  idk - just trying to help is all.

Brenda_M

It strikes me as less rude than stealing his vape, and you don't mention him getting mad about that, so I think it'd be okay. 😃

I don't know if this will help you change your perspective at all, and I'm really not trying to be ugly, but I do not get vaping at all. At least with smoking, you have a century or longer of cool dudes walking around being macho with their cigarettes (Humphrey Bogart, Marlon Brando, James Dean, and gang) and glamorous ladies being dainty with their cigarettes (Tallulah Bankhead, Lucille Ball, Bette Davis, etc.). Needing to use a vape would feel to me like walking around with a binky. It's just weird.

And I get there are many other things that we buy in life that we don't need, like pop, junk food, Beanie Babies, in-app extras...but maybe if you can look at it like that, like it's weird and doesn't make any sense, it might help?

You can do this, if you want to. But you have to want to, and you have to be committed. If you are, start the reading that Nancy suggested. It will really help get your mind right for the challenge, and it is a challenge, but it's doable. 

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s....vlxedits 

You are not a loser...you are battling addiction...please listen to Nancy YoungAtHeart above me and do the work and readings she suggested, also read /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2020/12/14/failed-what-will-you-change 

You must do whatever it takes to stay quit (meaning healthy things)...telling your dad you want to quit and not have him vape in front of you...nothing is wrong with it...in the beginning we must avoid so many people, situations, etc., in order to stay quit...your body and brain have had so many toxins placed inside, it takes time to heal and adjust...plan your quit, educate yourself and do the work.  Most of all, keep close to this support site for help...Colleen 743 DOF 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your desire to quit vaping.   What you described, is how addiction works.  This is isn't easy for any of us, but you can do if your commit to doing the work  Educate yourself about how nicotine addiction works and create a quit plan.  I skipped these two steps in the past and always failed.  Part of you quit plan is identifying the tools you'll use when tempted to vape.  There's lots of ideas on the site--walking helped me a lot.  Having someone who smokes/vapes in the same house isn't easy, but it can be done if you remember, it's your quit.  No one else's.   You can ask the other person not to use in front of you, but if they don't cooperate, you have to make that commitment for yourself.   You can take control of your health--no one else's.   

I'm glad you found us.  There are many quitters on this site, so there's proof it can be done.  Create your plan, pick a day, and begin your journey.  We're here to support you.  Just reach out anytime.

Barb

Maki

Now you have support here when you feel like vaping don't , when you are tempted distract , delay , drink water discuss it here so others can help you through while you get stronger . Be determined to do this . Your hard work will pay off for you .

Especially  think in your case if you are able to get out and walk it will be helpful , even find a space within your home that's off limits to vape users .. make it your own safe space . 

maryfreecig

I believe you do know why you should quit. Just because those you admire, love and are close to have no desire to quit, does not invalidate your own desire to quit. You can move forward and still respect them for where they are. You are the one who has chosen to quit multiple times in months--that tells me, quitting is very much on your mind.

One day at a time, you can learn to handle your quit, others not quitting, and learn to handle your ups and downs.