cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Chandra2222

Hi

I start Chantix Friday morning. 

Please can someone give me some advice about this medicine. 

I have instructions, but I do what to hear about your experiences?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Barbscloud

Other's here have used Chantix to quit, so hopefully you'll hear from them.  Please read the instructions.  You want to take it for a period of time while you continue to smoke.  Friday will be the beginning of your journey to becoming smoke free.  That's fabulous.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

I took Chantix for about a month.  Ended up in the hospital where I didn't receive it, didn't know the dosage to take when I got home, so stopped taking it.  I had none of the terrifying side effects reported with it.  It certainly helped, but I still had to learn about the addiction, change up my routines, exercise more  and keep myself busy when a crave hit.

It isn't going to do all the work for you, but it IS going to help.  I was able to quit on my first and only attempt at it!

You can, too!

Nancy

Senorstrike

As I mentioned in a prior post, the nausea was the worst. Make sure you eat something. I also had nightmares when taking it so I made sure not to take it after 6pm. I am on week 3 of taking Chantix and I think I have the routine down. I continued to smoke the first week while taking the medicine. When I ran out of cigarettes, the cravings were not so bad so I decided not to buy anymore.  The last time I took Chantix to quit, I gave the pills to my sister because I could not take the nausea, even though they worked.  Apparently, they block the nicotine receptors in the brain easing the symptoms of withdrawal.  Oh, and I keep pretzels and crackers in my desk at work, just in case. 

blaztek

I've used Chantix. They have a really nice online quit program to go along with the meds. For me, it worked until I realized that after I quit taking it, the nicotine would kick back in again. My triggers are stress. But for quitting cold turkey, for me, it's a great way to go. I just need to replace bad behaviors with good ones.

I had no side effects.

YoungAtHeart

blaztek 

Welcome!

I don't understand why you thought the nicotine would "kick back in again."  Nicotine is out of your body about three days after you stop putting it in.  Chantix just blocks your brain's receptors from being affected by it.  So - when you stop smoking/vaping for three days, the nicotine is gone.  Your body still has to adjust to life without it - and perhaps that adjustment is to what you refer?

I'm glad you have set a new quit date!  A lot of folks here have been successful with the "Smart Turkey" (what we call it) approach.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Chandra2222

Thank you Nancy