cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bbrok12

Staying productive while quitting

I have tried quitting several times, one thing that I always struggle with is during the first couple of weeks is staying productive at work.  It seems like I can't focus and end up doing nothing for a large portion of the day.  How have people dealt with that?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

If you have a reasonable boss, I would tell hm/her that you are quitting smoking and that this can be a problem at times.  Remind them that you will be so much MORE productive after this initial stage of quitting - no more smoke breaks, or jonesing for a fix when you are working.  You will find that you feel LESS stressed in general when you quit - because when you smoke your increasing level of stress is created by the last cigarette you smoked.  Read on to understand why this is so.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you decide to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

I quit when l was really sick so l was pretty limited physically but l dove right in to EX & read everything l could. This site gave me support & ideas to help my quit grow.

Welcome to Ex, pay attention to all that YoungAtHeart‌ has shared with you.

You can do this one day at a time.

Ellen

maryfreecig

The lack of focus is due to lack of nicotine. But the brain adjusts. The first few weeks are a tender time. A time to do what you want without battering yourself for not being better. You are coming off a long term use of a drug. At least give yourself 90 days to assess the fog. 

Also, eating healthy food, taking some vitamins such as D if there is no medical reason not to, exercising (keep moving) can help lift you up. 

When we quit, we are relearning life--we are not super heroes. TV, movies, stories often have a happy ending within an half hour, hour, hour and a half. In real life, recovering from nicotine addiction takes time. But not forever. You can do this and as you succeed, you will learn that you are so much better off without the addiction. 

Welcome to Ex. We're here for oneanother 24/7.

Barbscloud

This is part of quitting for many.  Adjusting to that lack of nicotine has many side effects.  If you can talk to your boss I would, but also do some things to replace the dopamine you've lost by quitting.  Meditation, exercise, deep breathing, sleep, music etc.   

But don't let this stop you from quitting.  It's much easier if you educate yourself about nicotine so you understand what and why you're experiencing different side effects.   Create a quit plan so you're prepared when then loss of focus hits.  

And, we're here to support you.  Just reach out anytime!

Barb

elvan

I had a doctor tell me once that part of the reason that smokers complain of brain fog when they quit smoking is because they have forgotten "how to breathe."  A way to practice is by blowing bubbles, deep breath in through the nose, count to 6 and then exhale very slowly through pursed lips, count to at least 12 while you do that.  If you exhale too quickly or too hard, you don't get any bubbles.  You can practice the same breathing technique without the bubbles, they just help as a bit of a distraction.

Best,

Ellen

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s bbrok12 

I am so happy you found our site...you have received good advice above me.  I don’t work out of the house so I can’t help with “work productive” I became very productive at home, because I kept busy...  Be sure to keep close to the support site for help and to encourage other’s on this journey...Colleen 735 DOF