cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CathyC1332

Confession

I am not sure I am posting this correctly.  My Aunt died. She was like a second mom to me.  So not really identifying my pain, I chose cigarettes.  I am not going to beat myself up.  I have my signs I printed and I bought me dum dum suckers. I have to do activities other than sitting and smoking. I  didn't make it out of the barn, so to speak, but I am saddled up and ready to go again. I will make it.

Labels (1)
11 Replies
Julie1960

Sorry for your loss of your Aunt.  I no it's hard when you are greifing.  But seems like you already have a plan of action.  Just dust yourself off and ride again.

indingrl

Cathy and NO WORRIES - I stop and smoked again and quit smoking and started smoking again and again - YOU are not alone sweetheart - WAY TO GO with NEW quit plans - please read info from EX team and DR Hays blogs and read more everyday blogs to get YOUR quit tools gathered and READY for the DAY - one day at a time - WE n.o.p.e. together - I am so sorry about YOUR aunt passing and I lifted you in prayer in MY Lord Jesus name amen -  Please blog BEFORE you take that first puff over you - and when a crave hits and they will - just grab a lemon and bite into it peel and all - it HELPS bring you back in the MOMENT -  then come here and blog - what is happening OR blog a VENTING blog just to get it out OR questions and - please give US time to respond - thank you

indingrl

Cathy and please know I am so very glad YOU are here

sweetplt

I am sorry for your loss CathyC1332 ... hang close to good times and memories...it is your choice to smoke...so don’t beat yourself up...I hope someday soon you will be back in the journey....take care of you....~ Colleen 

Barbscloud

Sorry to hear about your aunt.  I had two aunts that never married and they were surrogate mothers to me.  I still miss them.   That is something hard to face so early in your quit.  Get right back on track and don't look back.    We're still here for you.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Welcome back to the community!

Set a NEW quit date!  Get ready for it!  Then COMMIT to never smoking another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.  There is never a good reason to smoke; there are only excuses.  Stop making them!  Smoking does nothing for you and so much TO you.  Let us help you; blog "HELP" before you light up again after this quit and give us time to talk you down off that ledge.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you decide to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

So sorry for your loss & so proud of your commitment to your quit.

Ellen

0 Kudos
CathyC1332

I received kind encouraging thoughts from some of you. Thank you.  I was proud of myself today. I actually went 5 hours without a cigarette.  Then I allowed myself to listen to my head creeper. On top of choosing to grab cigarettes again,  I fueled up on coffee.  Not a good combination.  I downloaded a free workbook on quitting smoking. I am studying it. Amazing how it helps to really get in tune with the whys and why not of smoking. I have so much knowledge over the years to quit smoking and now I am working to apply that knowledge.  Tomorrow will present a new day, and I will be faced with should I? One moment at a time. I want to make my journey fun. I read Allen Carrs book, I have patches and gum. No aid will do any good unless I can incorporate me into practicing what I know. My biggest fear is when i quit smoking i will lose me. Excuse? Perhaps. But i have to figure it out. Hope i don't get kicked out of here. Thanks again. Stay safe.

0 Kudos
elvan

You can do this, one day at a time. We are here, let us know how we can help.

0 Kudos