cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Badmmd

What is the best way to restart after a failed attempt?

How do you overcome the slip? I quit November 9. I allowed myself to start again on Thanksgiving afternoon. I could use some ideas for restarting my quit! 

Tags (1)
16 Replies
indingrl

Thanks for YOUR - courage and SELF honesty - It was SUGGESTED for ME to read and read and read the first 90 DAYS to educate MYSELF and SOME I read here and there and some I glanced over and some I just passed on - it was SUGGESTED I get QUIT TOOLS to get a NEW MINDSET on how to live day by day as a non smoker to ENJOY each day - I gathered the slogans - Not One Puff Ever aka n.o.p.e. and Smoking Is Not An Option aka s.i.n.a.o. and when a CRAVE HIT and they will sometimes HARD and sometimes very quite and sneaky - I jogged in place - I bit into a lemon peel and all which brought ME back into MY moment and I came here and blogged what was going on with ME or I blogged BEFORE I took that first puff over ME - I still read read read to learn EACH day to stay in the present moment and I learn HOW to enjoy MY day by reading here HOW others enjoy their n.o.p.e. day - just ONE day at a time - I am so glad YOU chose YOUR OWN nicotine freedom and NOW gathering YOUR OWN QUIT TOOLS

elvan

Try to figure out what went wrong so you can be prepared in case it happens again. Read everything you can find about this addiction & quit again as soon as you can. Come HERE before you smoke & put the word HELP in the subject line of a blog telling us what is going on & give us a chance to talk you down. Do not have any cigarettes or smoking paraphernalia around, drink LOTS of water, exercise, take deep breaths. Remind yourself that it DOES get easier with time.

Ellen 

JACKIE1-25-15

NOPE :NOT ONE PUFF EVER

NO MATTER WHAT. NMW 

GET RID OF ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH SMOKING.

COME HERE BEFORE YOU SMOKE. 

MAKE A COMMITMENT THAT NO MATTER WHAT YOU WILL NOT SMOKE. 

BE WILLING TO GO THROUGH THE WITHDRAWAL JUST LIKE ANYOTHER DRUG. 

NO MATTER HOW BAD IT GETS. 

YOU WILL NOT DIE FROM NOT SMOKING BUT FOR SMOKING. 

REPRGRAM YOUR BRAIN AND TELL IT YOU DO NOT "NEED TO SMOKE"

YoungAtHeart

Identify the thought pattern that allowed you to light up again - and make a plan NOW how you will deal with it differently if/when it happens again.  How could you have changed your mind's direction?  What will you do differently to help insure success THIS time?  If you didn't read about your addiction, do it now.  If you didn't write down your reasons to quit and keep it with you, do it now.  If you didn't have a written go-to list of things to do to help with stress, do it now.

NOW  - don't look back  - you aren't going that way!  Get as ;prepared as you can as you approach the next quit date you are going to set - not too far into the future.  Remember - there is never a good reason to smoke; there are but excuses.

Promise yourself you will blog "HELP" here and wait for us to talk you down off the ledge if you have a weak moment again.  Just don't smoke!

Let us know how we can help! 

Nancy

PrimeNumberJD

Well, you are just human and that don't call it the 6% club because it is easy to obtain. Depending on the study, people fail 11-33 times before a successful quit (just a statistic, there are people who do it in their first try and some who it takes 100 tries). I personally failed more times than I was successful, but the great thing about success is you only have to do it once. 

First thing, don't beat yourself up; I was really good at beating myself down when I failed and, in retrospect, it only added to the stress of quitting and made it nearly impossible. 

No truer words can be said, they seem simple but they are often easier said than done; if you want to quit, quit. Keep a journal, learn about addiction (this was very helpful for me and doing so allowed me to identify difficult periods easier). The first step is the hardest part of any journey. Take that step! If you step into a hazard, go the other direction, or around it, over it, through it, whatever it takes. 

Also, stay here, a lot of research shows a strong support group is the greatest indicator of potential success. If we don't become your support group, identify those who are your support group! 

Gai.C

If u don't have any u can't smoke any. It was a conscious decision to smoke.  U have to figure out how to change your mindset. U don't need to smoke U need to pray and ask God to take all desire away. He will I promise.  I have 3.5 years of Smoberity.  U are worth it.  It's not easy but it's not that hard either said a Friend of mine Marley Aussie from Quitnet.  

sweetplt

Re do the work ... Badmmd ... Read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX reset your quit date, plan for it like no other, become knowledgable on addiction, avoid smoking people and situations, etc., you can do this and start again...and come here for support and/or to encourage others on this journey.  Start working...don’t beat yourself up...learn from why you choose to smoke and what you will do different this time...Colleen 727 DOF 

maryfreecig

In my opinion, the first few weeks of a quit are a tender time. On the one hand you've had enough time to know that you can stay away from smoking, but there is no smober foundation yet. A lot of the triggers, memories, associations are fully intact. Please write out a plan that will take in to consideration your associations, triggers, crave points. Load it up with alternatives.

The best plans include support. Most of us want to strong arm ourselves through the stress of quitting but in fact quitting gets easier when we feel confident. Support can help you grow your confidence.

You smoked on a holiday. Well a few more are coming right up. While quitting is a one day at a time journey, planning for holidays should be high on your quit list.

I'm so glad you came to your Ex community and asked for suggestions. Don't give up, read, learn, share. Keep moving forward.

green1611

Hello Badmmd

Better come back to your Smokefree days as quickly as possible. May. be from today !

As you keep extending the new date, addiction will pull you down more.

Read Allan Carr ! It is very good book. and as said above - NMW NOPE

No Matter What - NOPE !

You will succeed ! for sure