cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Adventures

Needing Help

Good evening everyone on here,

I started using dipping tobacco 9 years ago. I started off light, and it eventually grew to a bad habit. I kept this habit going to a point in which my dipping was causing my allergies to form out of nowhere and I’d start to get sick. After 4 years I was able to quit up for roughly 6 months. Over a camping trip, I did it “because I was drinking” and “only once”... It obviously wasn’t just once. I kept that going for another 4 years. I was with a friend and let me try “zyn”. I was able to swallow, it was a lot more convenient, etc. I’ve been doing ZYN6 pouches, roughly 10-15 a day. It’s been really screwing with my throat, and I’m just tired of getting health issues from an awful and expensive habit. Currently, I was able to switch to ZYN3, and stay off of it for 4 days so far. This is because I went away with my significant other and I don’t do it when we’re together.

the temptation, even with my throat hurting, is nearly unbearable. I’m making excuses to myself like, “maybe I’ll just get 1 can”. 
I truly need motivation, help, or something. I’ve come to you guys. Any support would be very appreciated. 9 years is a long time. Even with short periods of quitting at times, I’m struggling to do it again.

Labels (1)
7 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Adventures 

I am glad you came here for support.  We are all addicts to the nicotine...we can never just have one.  I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and replace smoking with chewing...there you will plan your quit like no other day.  Then, you will quit and come here often for support.  Educate yourself on addiction and nicotine...Read the blogs/posts here...keep busy and don’t purchase anymore chew...You can to this, but it takes time and hard work...We are here for you...~ Colleen 727 DOF 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   No matter the source, it's still nicotine.  I finally quit smoking after 50 years, so I think your health can only benefit by stopping after 9.   Read everything you can on this site to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  I skipped these two steps in the past and I always failed.   Decide if you want to use an aid such as NRT/ medication, or quit cold turkey.  Pick a quit date and begin your journey.  Preparation is the key to success.  We're here to support you.  Just reach out anytime you need encouragement or to share your experience.

There are plenty of quitters on this site that prove it can be done one day at a time.

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Adventures‌ How are you holding up? 

Have you checked out How to Quit Chewing Tobacco, Snuff or Snus  and our other resources?  Also we have Chewing and Smokeless Tobacco‌ which may provide some additional information to read.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
maryfreecig

Your motivation got you here--build on that. Ex is a quit community that will be here for you 24/7. Make it a daily effort to come here, learn, comment, blog. Quitting is a journey that is taken one day at a time--many addicts want the solution to their addiction to come all at once--but it takes time and effort to get over the dependency. You have a home base with Ex--we are here to help one another and always to listen.

One day at a time you can put your quit together.

Welcome to Ex.

Giulia

Number one motivation is that your throat's killing you.  And your allergies don't like it.  And it's expensive.  So let's begin with that motivation.  Pretty basic, right?  Except  it  really means nothing when you've grown dependent upon something.  Because we make a list of all the reasons we shouldn't, doesn't mean a thing until we find the "thing" that says we can, the thing that says we must.  The "thing" that we can connect to emotionally and psychologically that moves us past the dependent/addictive "thing."  I'm speaking from my own experience here.  I knew all the reasons I shouldn't smoke.  But I never found one that made me want to quit more.  Or enabled me to.  Because an addiction doesn't care about our reasoning.  But WE do.  And we know better.  And we aren't stupid.  We're just weak in the face of it.  But there is always that thing I call the "Best of you" that little beautiful thing within us that keeps niggling and whispering and saying "you know you shouldn't do this.  You know you should quit.  And you know you can. TRY."  

I didn't want to quit the last time I quit. (I never wanted to quit any time I quit.)   Not really.  I just knew I should.  And my husband was niggling at me.  And I was tired of the niggling.  I was tired of my own brain - that Best part of me -  niggling at me.  And you know, it wasn't much of a motivation, but what ended up being my motivation to remain smoke-free, once I had agreed and had some days under my belt was I NEVER WANTED TO GO THROUGH THIS PROCESS AGAIN!  And I haven't.  And it's been 14 years.

This is that Best of you speaking very loudly:  "I’m making excuses to myself like, “maybe I’ll just get 1 can”.   You know the truth.  You know what it's doing to you.  So you just have to plug into that "thing" that you can agree with to stop it.  Yes, it's going to pull at you.  Yes, it's not going to be comfortable.  Yes, it's going to be hard.  Do you want to stop?  Or not?  And if you really do - then nothing CAN stop you.  

9 years is a long time.  I smoked a pack and a half a day for over 35 years.  If I can do it, YOU can.  If all of us can do it - YOU can.  If you're struggling to "do it again," it means you obviously wanna get this done.  So get it done.  DO it this time.  Once and for all.  (Doesn't matter if it's smoking or chawing or vaping or sucking it up through your eyes - dependence on it is the same.)  Stand fast to your commitment, stand tall, stand proud.  You will NEVER regret that.  But you will always regret going back.

(How's that for motivation?)  

indingrl

Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS nicotine freedom - hot water with lemon HELPS with sore throats - just sharing

0 Kudos
elvan

I smoked for 47 years and I am now suffering the consequences of that.  I had many failed quits until this one 6 years and 10 months ago.  This site is supportive and understanding, the people are insightful and well versed in nicotine addiction and recovery.  I used the mantra NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.  I must have said nope hundreds of time a day.  I came here every morning and every evening and I seriously paid attention to what I was told to do.  YoungAtHeart‌ has offered you great advice.  Read, plan, know that this is an addiction and no one recovers overnight but it IS possible.  One day at a time.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen