cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Thesegoto11

More Quitting Stats

Even though I quit cold turkey, I realize the medical community in general has long advocated Nicotine Reduction Therapy (NRT) or other medicine-based treatments for smoking-cessation. Ploughing back through some old data, ran across this 2010 Surgeon General's report some may find informative (even though it's poorly written and doesn't define many of its terms well):

Comparison of success rates
------------------------------------------
A U.S Surgeon General's report includes tables setting forth success rates for various methods, some of which are listed below, ranked by success rate and identified by Surgeon General table number.

- Quit programs that combine counseling or support elements* with a prescription for Bupropion SR (Zyban/Wellbutrin) increased success rates to 30.5 percent, (Surgeon General's Table 25, page 72).

- Quit programs involving 91 to 300 minutes of contact time increased six-month success rates to 28 percent, regardless of other quit methods included Surgeon General's Report Table 13, page 59]

- Quit programs involving eight or more treatment sessions increased six-month success rates to 24.7 percent (Surgeon General's Table 14, page 60)

- High-intensity counseling lasting longer than 10 minutes increased six-month success rates to 22 percent whether added to any other quit method, nicotine replacement, or cold turkey approach (Surgeon General's Report Table 12, page 58).

- A physician's advice to quit can increase odds of success by 30 percent to 10 percent success rate at six-months (Surgeon General's Report Table 11, page 57).

- Seven percent of over-the-counter nicotine patch and gum quitters managed to quit for at least six months.

* Smoking-cessation support and counseling is often offered over the Internet, over the phone quitlines (e.g. the US toll-free number 1-800-QUIT-NOW), or in-person.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I have nothing but bad things to say about the medical community in general and quitting smoking.  When I asked my GP for help about 8 years ago, I was told  "slap on a patch, get some celery and carrot sticks," and "you will be good to go."  They thought pictures of ugly lungs would get us to quit, and when that failed, they just put warnings or awful pictures on packs of cigarettes. They didn't have a clue that, because we were addicts, we had to believe those things would happen to other people.  Then they raised the cost, again not understanding that, as addicts, we would find a way to get our fix.

There was no information about the ADDICTION given - nothing about nicotine's effect on our brain sensors.  There were no information packets with helpful tips on how to get past the inevitable cravings, or to expect digestion issues, mood swings, etc,, etc.  There were no timelines.  They didn't understand the addiction, and so they did surveys and came up with products without any knowledge on which to base any of it.  They never asked the right questions.  The medical community seems to always think a pill is the answer to all ills - thus the NRTs.  We have drug resistant bacteria as a result of over prescribing of antibiotics.  I won't go so far as to say they didn't care - they were just not informed - and I am pretty sure the tobacco lobby probably had something to do with their approach.

Good information and a knowledgeable doctor were my keys to being successful.  I wish they could have been provided years ago, instead of studies that I can only question.

...getting down off my soapbox........................

Good topic!

Thesegoto11

Excellent response.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.  I learned a lot.  The perception vs the reality of how "professionals" conduct their business.