cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Depression

I’m on day 3 of quitting and I’ve been depressed all day. I’ve read about people feeling anxious or depressed when they first stopped. How long does it last for? I don’t want to be depressed on Thanksgiving.

5 Replies
indingrl

Thanks for sharing - CONGRATS on 3 days of nicotine freedom - Yahoooooooooo - WAY TO GO -  please check EXteam blogs OR Dr Hays Blogs - tons of info there for ya

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Hi Julie, I am sorry that you are depressed.  Depression is and can be a withdrawal symptom. Have you ever had an issue with depression before? Here are a few blogs in reference to depression.  If you use the magnifying glass and put in a key word you will get lots of information on the topic you are researching. Smoking and depressionhttps://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2018/10/17/you-are-not-alone?sr=sear... https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2020/01/15/contrary-to-popular-opini... 

0 Kudos
green1611

No worries.

Start a fresh ! Read Allan Carr !

Stick to NOPE, NOPE, NOPE and NMW !

All the best 

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Juliejules2456 Congratulations on 3 days of Freedom...Everyone is different with how long the depression lasts when they quit smoking...many things you can do to help it, but not sure it just goes away... try getting out and taking a walk on Thanksgiving day...getting your endorphins up will help...right now, you and your quit is your number one priority....

Happy Thanksgiving ~ Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I wish I could say it would be gone by today, but for most of us that did experience being sad, etc. it does last longer.  You've lost the dopamine rushes you were getting from nicotine.  Finding activities to replace the dopamine can be helpful: getting exercise, plenty of sleep, music, meditation, etc.  Just taking a walk can be enough to improve your mood.  We you suffering depression before you quit?   

Hang in there.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Barb