cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nevergiveup

Negative/Obsessive Thoughts

What do you do to redirect your mind from negative or obsessive thoughts? I am asking because I came across a post recently that suggested blowing bubbles which is something I never thought about before.

Labels (1)
19 Replies
AnnetteMM

980a9bb382add02af6a2abca004b7127.jpg

This is in my brain, ready and waiting to set up a road block.

Then I distract myself with ANYTHING ELSE.

Barbscloud

Negative thoughts are not always easy to stop for human beings.  Smokers or not.  We spend a lot of time in our own minds.  Try to focus on your strengths--we all have them.  We just need to acknowledge them.  Remember what you're grateful for and and take a break from those thoughts. It's whatever works for you.  I still think going for walk helps to cure whatever it bothering us. It's a great way to refocus by taking in nature, neighbors, pets, etc.  As for the bubbles, Ellen used them, and they did help me to go outside at first and sit in those places where I had smoked.   Anything that's different from your old routine is going to create new memories.  

Have a good day.

Barb

Maki

Change to positive/constructive thoughts by taking an action . My suggestion ... Walk . Turn up the music , no negative music . 

Remember if you are early in your quit what you are going through is normal , quitting is a process . It's learning about change . Change the things you can , and most of that takes a decision to do something different . 

Good job posting . Confratulations on your quit . Odaat , osaat . 

YoungAtHeart

I was obsessing over a bad romantic break-up,  trying to make sense out of something that was not mine to figure out.  Eventually I got tired of doing that, and I actually had to say (to myself or yell it out loud if I could) STOP it!! 

And it WORKED!

I added walking to it when walking didn't start me down that lousy road again.

It's a process, but you can control your thoughts!

Good discussion!

Thesegoto11

I would either:

- Distract, distract, distract.  Get up and do anything, wash dishes, vacuum, go outside, rearrange the furniture, etc.

- Enter into an inner dialogue with myself explaining what we've done and why and we're not smoking anymore.

- Remind myself the nicotine was already out of my body, so this was just my mind playing games with me.

- Analyze what was going on with my mind and marvel at what it was capable of.  But that's all; just marvel.  LOL

And, here's a helpful site:  101 Things to Do Instead of Smoking 

indingrl

Dance to YOUR favorite music

JACKIE1-25-15

Change the station Flip your Thinking

SuzyQ411

Video not accessible JACKIE1-25-15‌; would re-posting help? It sounds like it's a fantastic tool....

JACKIE1-25-15

How To Quit Smoking (FOREVER IN 10 MINUTES) - YouTube  Here is the link. This video is from one of Thomas3.20.2010‌ blog