cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jayneyg55

Is it normal to cry after stopping lighting up?

This is my second day.  And I've eaten a couple cough drops, chewed a toothpick, walked my dogs, brushed out my border collie, talked to a girlfriend who is supporting me...and  now I feel like I just want to cry.  Am I grieving a loss of a "friend" or what???

13 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

It is normal - cry if you need to - but remember that is does get better with time and it is worth it.

marciem

The roller coaster of emotions is so very very normal during the first while of quitting, Jayneyg55‌ !!  Anger, sadness, rage, even mirth and euphoria, and back again to depression, all within minutes (or seconds) can happen.  Or you can be just sad for a while.

The Creative workout — Just a little roller coaster animation, so much...

Congratulations on making the momentous decision to quit!  It really is the best thing you can do for yourself and your loved ones.  It isn't easy by any means, but it is very do-able.  

You might need to coddle yourself for a while, eat anything not nailed down, pull a blanket over your head and sleep, go chop down those bushes that get in your way of a view... physical activity can be good!  So can chocolate   .

Again, the sadness and crying is normal.  Anger for no obvious reason is normal.  

These bad side effects of quitting are TEMPORARY.  I can't give an end-date, we're all different in that regard, but they are TEMPORARY.   The benefits of quitting are PERMANENT and ever-growing and expanding.  So keep that in mind while you wallow in the first weeks of quitting.  You are in Hell week. It is called that for good reason.  Next week is Heck week, more of same only softened.   Once things start getting better, they do so gradually but fairly quickly so hang on for the ride!

Best to you.  Let us know how things are going, ok?

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...Jayneyg55 

So glad you found our support site...if you haven’t already, please read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

...And yes feeling and crying are normal when you first quit smoking...I cried so hard that first week, I felt like someone died...feel what you must...and listen to your body.  Keep close to the support site, we are here for you.  You are not alone...~ Colleen 720 DOF 

Legend

Congratulations on day 2 yay!!!  Yes this is something that can happen when you stop smoking. I felt like crying a lot when I quit smoking and finally it all got better. I found when I felt like crying I was bored and I needed to keep myself more busy. Someone here taught me to watch a funny movie or a funny video over at YouTube to get myself laughing and that would get me in a better mood. You will see if you change the mood you are in you will feel better. Hang in there you can do this. If you have any funny movies hanging around your house go ahead and watch it. Going outside and watching animals play up in the tree like squirrel’s can put you in a better mood also. Best wishes to you.

Barbara145

I cried too.  I had kind of stopped crying about anything for a long while before I quit.  We stuff all of our feelings as smokers.  And yes you are probably feeling the loss of cigarettes.  I sure did.  That said you are not really losing anything you are only gaining.  Congratulations on quitting smoking.

maryfreecig

I skipped crying but felt sorry for myself and angry. Yes, many have cried. You are normal. But as others have said, you will get better--there is no doubt about it. Welcome to Ex.

indingrl

Thank YOU for sharing and YES smoking was MY best friend and MY lover to COPE with all inside of OLD ME - it is SUGGESTED to write a goodbye letter - OR a divorce letter to SEVERE ties with MY best friend/lover NICOTINE - I took the SUGGESTION and it HELPED ME - I am so glad YOU have chosen to be a n.o.p.e. family member with US- Yahooooooo - it is OK to cry - just sharing

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/search.jspa?q=crying 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/search.jspa?q=grieving 

Perhaps some of these posts will help you understand others who felt similar.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
elvan

I cried, l got angry, l felt sad, l was an emotional wreck, it happens after years of stuffing feelings, when they surface, they seem incredibly intense. It’s ok to feel, it’s okay to cry or feel lonely, it is NOT okay to smoke & have to start the whole thing over.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen