cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMMedeiros

Holding myself accountable?

Hey all,

I'm 2 days into my nicotine cessation plan (again) after a relapse, and I'm looking for some support. I know I can do this, so I guess I'm reaching out in lieu of using my vape so I can hold myself accountable. My pup and I don't need any nicotine here in the apartment, especially since we're here alone with no one to see if I slip again. 

Anyway, I wish you all the best and I hope everyone is staying nicotine-free!

Sam

12 Replies
sweetplt

Hi Sam and Welcome to Ex’s SMMedeiros 

Ohhhh an adorable pup ... who is so happy you quit vaping...you are doing the best thing for you and for the pup...if you haven’t already read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX .. also, keep close to the support site.  We are here to help you especially through triggers/craves, etc., You can do this, One day at a time...you aren’t alone anymore...you have your Ex family...Happy Friday ~ Colleen 718 DOF

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

What will you do differently THIS time you quit?  I hope you will educate yourself about the addiction, gather tools and information for a successful quit, get support, and commit to never vaping again NO MATTER WHAT.  We can help with all but the last.  I hope you destroyed your device and any leftover pods.  Keeping it around is only giving yourself permission to fail.

You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind.   To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to ,  to work on your quit, I hope you will read this. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You didn't say what quit aid you decided to use after your survey, so I will give you my thoughts on them.  I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

SMMedeiros

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am definitely going to check out those suggestions about quitting aids. I’m currently using the patch, but am always open to additional help!

Barbscloud

Welcome and I'm glad you found us.   Having a plan and sticking to it, can make quitting possible.  Cute puppy.  My dog Charlie is my best buddy.  Take lots of walks with Sam instead of vaping--it's a great way to keep yourself focused on your goal and to replace your dopamine.     Reach out like you did anytime you need support.   Are you taking the Daily Pledge?  It's a great way to get your day off on the right foot.

Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Barb

elvan

You CAN do this, quitting is a one day at a time journey and there is no way to make it go faster.  The face on that dog is so sweet, that face wants you to be healthy.  That dog DESERVES for his or her person to care enough to take care.  This is not easy but the good news is that it GETS easier.  Stay close to the site, read everything that has been recommended and remember that you are not on this journey alone.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Maki

You posted the best picture of support .. look into those eyes and hear what the puppy tells you about vaping . 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 2 days.  It is good that you are starting over again.  I would suggest if you still have any vaping equipment that you get rid of it.  That way you will be less tempted to use it.  Come here when you're having a problem.Education is the key to a successful quit.  There is no way around it. /blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2016/05/24/i-did-not-know?sr=search&searchId=9cc436a2-891e-4e92-9314-03051...‌.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Congratulations on your quit. Welcome to Ex--this quit community is a caring one and one that is totally dedicated to helping each quitter. Stick around, find out that you really are not alone in your quit. One day at a time you can do this.

0 Kudos
dsprague

second hand smoke from anything is deadly to a pet, if you can’t quit for yourself quit for them.