cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dizzy

I am on day six. I am dizzy and feel my head is heavy. Normal? It’s worse than I felt the first few days. I thought by now the physical withdrawals would have been over. 

8 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on quitting smoking for 6 days. Being dizzy can be a withdrawal symptom.  Your body is getting more oxygen now that you’ve quit smoking. This is a good thing! But your body needs a little time to adjust. You are still very early in your quit. I would suggest that you make sure you are staying hydrated. When you get up from sitting or lying down, get up slowly.

YoungAtHeart

Since you also have been diagnosed with COVID, hard to say what is causing the dizziness.  A trick I learned in yoga is to hold your breath when you stand.  For some reason, holding your breath increases your blood pressure, and that might help.  Do be especially cautious when getting up.

If you are not using an NRT, the nicotine is mostly out of your body in about three days, but it takes up to about a month  for your body to adjust to life without the drug(s).  This is a journey, not an event, so you need to be patient with the process.

That being said, if the dizziness continues or worsens, it would be a good idea to check in with your doctor to be sure nothing else is going on.  Not all physical symptoms can be attributed to quitting smoking.

Congratulations on SIX DAYS!  That is huge!

Thank you. I’m not dizzy when I get up or because of movement. Just dazed and dizzy all around constantly. And I’m very happy to say that I no longer have any Covid symptoms. But as you pointed out because I stopped smoking WHEN I tested positive for Covid I can’t be sure what symptom is due to which. Dizziness is not a Covid symptoms though as far as I know. I will just have to keep a watch. 

sweetplt

Congratulations on 6 days of Freedom...this is super...I am not a Doctor so I am not sure why you are dizzy...it can be a withdrawal symptom, but hard to know...please let us know how you are doing...Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 

indingrl

Hello I hope you called YOUR doctor - please take care of YOU - congratulations on 6 days of NICOTINE FREEDOM - Yahoooooooo - WAY TO GO

I’m almost certain it’s part of the withdrawals systems. That’s what I’ve read. I’m talking with my doctor tomorrow so I’ll ask her. Thank you for your concerns. 

indingrl

Awe thank you for sharing and I am so glad your nicotine free

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

You're doing great.  It does take a bit longer.

Nicotine withdrawal symptoms usually reach their peak 2 to 3 days after you quit, and are gone within 1 to 3 months. (1) It takes at least 3 months for your brain chemistry to return to normal after you quit smoking. (2) The last two symptoms to go usually are irritability and low energy.

Glad you're checking with your doctor.  Many symptoms can be from quitting smoking, but everything isn't.  Let us know how you're doing.

Barb