cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sense of smell and taste

Did anyone lose their sense of smell or taste during their withdrawal stage?

12 Replies
sweetplt

No, in fact for me it was the opposite my smell and taste got stronger...Hannahkim12345 

~ Colleen 713 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

Usually, your sense of smell and taste improve when you quit smoking.

Be cautious - losing your smell and taste is a COVID symptom.  If you start to feel lousy, best to talk with your doctor. ASAP!

(but don't smoke over it!)

Barbscloud

No.   Ditto.   Can be signs of COVID.  Have you checked your temperature?

Barb

Maki

Do you know the signs of covid ? Symptoms . Is their a number you can call . Here we have a line you can call or a website to refer to for a self check , or with a qualified nurse ... never assume it's allergies or quit related with covid around .. I just responded in let's get moving as you mentioned this yesterday . A fever is not necessary to have covid . 

0 Kudos
indingrl

Thank you for sharing and OH YES - everything TASTES good and ahhhhhh the FRESH scents of LIFE smells of foods and scents of soaps and perfumes and OH candle scents - awe the list is endless and - I received a NEW smelling nose and NEW taste buds

0 Kudos

I tested positive for Covid Monday 11/2. Found out on Wednesday 11/4. Quit smoking on Thursday 11/5. Only had low grade fever for a few days. Tomorrow will be 14 days of quarantine. With that said, I read on this site about sinus issues with quitting. I’m all congested and I think maybe that is why I’ve lost my sense of smell and taste. This only came on a couple of days ago - maybe on day 8 of my quit. If the congestion doesn’t get better next week I will call my doctor. I have been teleMed-ing with my doctor through my quarantine. Thanks for all your concerns. 

Barbscloud

There are many withdrawal symptoms that some quitters experience.  Congestion can certainly be one of them.   I believe it's important not to attribute everything to quitting when something unrelated may be happening.   I'm glad you're staying in touch with your doctor.  The important thing is your safety.

Barb

0 Kudos
Maki

I think your Dr is the best person to consult for all your concerns . I will not speculate on whether your symptoms are quit related, covid related or allergies . From my knowledge of another's experience with covid  ( two friends who have had covid  ) both had taste and smell issues long after they were cleared of being covid free ( after the 14 day quarantine )  . One had a low grade fever, the other no fever . . A nurse ! A co worker of a family member got covid and had no fever at all but had taste and smell issues.

There are so many variants of this virus , it's not one size guts all and each person is different .  I don't want you to assume anything . I like Barbclouds answer , because of covid don't assume smoking is the reason for everything, your safety is priority right now and others . Take care of yourself .  I think your best source for professional advise is your doctor . I hope you are feeling better and continue to feel better .

Now that you have quit smoking you know it's the best to keep it even when you feel better because addiction will try and trick you . 

Feel better soon . 

0 Kudos
Maki

Correction , not one size fits all ... where the word guts came from I have no idea. Sorry . 

0 Kudos