cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Suzinut

Its a month....still want to smoke?? Wth!

Its a month today...and I am proud of that, but i have to say today i am having strong cravings to smoke....i wont...but why am i feeling this way???  Ughhhhh

20 Replies
Barbscloud

I keep posting this 

Nicotine withdrawal symptoms usually reach their peak 2 to 3 days after you quit, and are gone within 1 to 3 months. (1) It takes at least 3 months for your brain chemistry to return to normal after you quit smoking. (2) The last two symptoms to go usually are irritability and low energy.

And the psychological part can last a good while.  Be patient with yourself.  Don't lose sight of how long you smoked--so it will take some time.  But the cravings will lesson as you move a long.  

I believe someone already posted about No Mans Land for you.  For some of us, it is a reality.  

You're doing great.   Keep moving forward.

Barb

Barbscloud

Sorry I couldn't help with No Mans Land

Bye

Barb

0 Kudos
Suzinut

I just read your response now barb!  Missed it earlier!  I didnt realize 1 to 3 months for our brains to get back to normal...and i am def still irritable and fatigued...i was beginning to think that it was going to be like this forever...or something was wrong...its good to know that it is all part of the process...thanks for that!  I appreciate all your help all of the time!

YoungAtHeart

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Suggest you read this again.  Cravings at this point in your journey are perfectly normal and they WILL end.  If they didn't none of us with long term quits would have been successful.

Take it a day, a crave at a time. 

Suzinut

Excellent suggestion...will do that right now...THANKS!  Just to hear that this does end, means so much...I will keep on keeping on....now....let me go read no mans land again!  

maryfreecig

But I won't That's what matters, Suzinut. Why does it happen. Because you remember still. Time is your friend. Thanks for blogging about the ups and downs. Yes you will get better!!!  

sweetplt

Congratulations on 1 month of Freedom...Suzinut ... Ok I will tell you two truths...first, one month is a super accomplishment, but ... a big but... you are still early in your quit...and this journey takes longer until you get to that aha moment...more work, more time...but it does happen...second, I posted on my 1 month quit...I was over the moon, but the first thing I wanted to do was celebrate, by smoking a cigarette...Omg...yup that was me Suzy....that celebration smoke was the hardest to break...of course I didn’t smoke, but I couldn’t believe it...hang in there and I promise tomorrow will be better...however I agree with Barbscloud and YoungAtHeart read https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... ... You are doing good hon...

~ Colleen 701 DOF 

indingrl

Thanks for sharing - I just bite into a lemon peel and all - it brings ME back into the moment and HELPS ME accept I am a recovering nicotine addict and at certain times I want to escape MY feelings instead of being responsible - smoking one cigarette after another will lead ME to MY addiction of 50 DEATH STICKS a day in MY PAST addiction - NOW - when I want to escape ME - I bite the lemon peel and all and I say a prayer asking MY Daddy God for HELP in accepting the SUDDEN DEATH of MY friend - MY quit date January 6 2011 - he died October 13 2020 at 1am - smoking wouldnt bring him back from the dead - smoking would give ME lung cancer IF I dont drop dead of a massive heart attack - these FACTS are TRUE but MY old addicted mindset says - that happens to others it wont happen to me - thats the vicious cycle of nicotine addiction - just sharing - thanks for reminding ME Suzi and together WE n.o.p.e. or dance or bite a lemon peel and all 

Legend

This is a video by Dr. Richard Hurt about what you are going through. Hang in there this does get better in time.

Nicotine and Your Brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo