cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

tryagain

My story. Long term Chantix user, still smoking & need advise

Hi. Just joined today & found reading all your Chantix threads very interesting & helpful.
I'd like to know if any of you are long term users of Chantix and still smoking.
I have this strong conviction that if I stop the Chantix there's no hope for me. I am leaning towards continuing the medication & hoping at some point I will be smoke-free.
Here is my story:
I've been smoking most of my life so it has become my normal routine. Without a cigarette, I don't know how to begin or end any daily tasks. Okay, so now you know my #1 "trigger". I've tried every method out there except nicotine gum. I had quit about 3 yrs ago for about 9 months using Zyban, relapsed, tried Zyban again w/o success. I have been smoking 1-1/2 packs a day for many years.
I had first heard about Chantix long before it was available to the public. I work in a physician's office. When it became available, I was out the door with my RX immediately. I also told others I knew that smoked about this new product. They were all successful. I tell myself I'm having a harder time because I have more receptors than they did!
I am now into my 4th "month" pack of Chantix. At the beginning, I was down from a pack a day to 1 or 2 cigarettes some days, more when I wasn't at work. I haven't had any side-affects from the medication except slight feeling of nausea & bloating. No big deal. On the other hand, I've read the threads here regarding the new side-affect warnings & wondering how long I'll be so lucky.
I am now NOT working & find that I am smoking more often, even though I'm enjoying it less. Not smoking as much as before Chantix though.
Because of this decline, I realize the Chantix is doing something along with the fact that I'm still in the fight.
Any suggestions & personal experience would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
27 Replies
tryagain

thanks....you're right.....I've set a quit date (again) and hopefully this site will assist me with getting through.
0 Kudos
shilohshan

I posted earlier. I am in my 2nd week. No side affects. I quit smoking on Sunday. But..... Since then I have had three cigs. (So tech. not smoke free). My cravings are almost impossible. Many people I know taking Chantix just quit in the first week. Maybe my receptors are not responding to the meds? I do not know. Maybe what you say is true.
0 Kudos
rob17

It sounds like you just haven't been willing to make the conscious decision to quit. It seems like you're waiting for the Chantix to completely take away the desire to smoke. Well, it ain't gonna happen. It will help you get over the worst part of withdrawal (days one through four or so), but it isn't going to completely relieve the craves.

Having said that, it should help a lot with them. The fact that you were down to 1 - 2 per day says a lot about how well it took care of the craves. With not working, it could just be that your biggest trigger is boredom. I would suggest setting a quit date and sticking to it. Prior to that date, analyze your triggers and figure out a way to counter them.

Good luck!
Rob
0 Kudos
suzy2

tryagain,

If you could somehow manage to make it through a few consecutive days with no (or just a few) cigs, and get the nicotine out of your system, you'd be able to concentrate on dealing with "losing the friend" -- for me that 's the hardest long-term part. The Chantix helped enormously with the physical addiction, the psychological attachment is the other battle -- like you said (and this site acknowledges), relearning how to go through our day without them. The habit of smoking is so incredibily powerful. It sounds like you're not really getting the payoff -- do you feel any relief, any "high" from them anymore when you smoke, or is it really just going through the motions?
0 Kudos
seema

I smoked for 35 years. I started taking Chantix on Jan 7, 2008 and have not had even a puff since Jan 15. I stayed on the drug for 5 months with absolutely no ill effects other than some wild, interactive dreams. However, I could not have succeeded if I had "cut down" instead of totally cutting out the cigarettes. I could go back to smoking in a heartbeat (forgive the pun). I believe that's why we are "Ex" smokers, rather than "non" smokers, because we are always poised on the edge of the abyss. Good luck to you.
tryagain

I know for sure that I'm just "going through the motions". Sometimes the urge isn't even that strong & I probably could divert myself but that inner demon takes over . When I think of it, the entire time I debate over the cigarette is just a few seconds. If only I could learn to be prepared & divert myself better. I really think the Chantix helps because I haven't had a really strong urge to smoke for many weeks now & find that they taste horrible, are annoying, and I haven't gotten that "high" for a very long time.
Thanks to all for your replies. I'm rooting for all of you!!
0 Kudos
dk_

Char, If you truly want to quit (40 yrs smoking here) , give up the 1 or 2 a day, throw away your stash and stop being chicken. dive in. do it. just remember if you have the urge, do the next best thing.
miriam3

I used to think of life without cigarretes like a something very far away and nearly impossible. People that know me cannot believe I quit. That is why I need to repeat myself and say, If I can..anyone can.
0 Kudos
christine2007

Have any of you used the Chantix "Get Quit" website or their 800 phone number for support? I used the website religiously every day... but never needed the live support. Maybe some of you would benefit from calling their 800 number. Just an idea.
0 Kudos