cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

green1611

how pets behave?

Does it make difference when smoking person having pets, stops smoking completely, and

now, due to his/her new smell (without cigarette smoke) makes any difference to pets?

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Interesting question.  I didn't have a pet when I quit,  but I have been on this site and reading about others' experiences and don't ever remember anyone mentioning it.  A LOT of our community own pets, so if it created a problem, I think it would have been mentioned.

I will hope others might chime in with their experiences.

Happy Halloween!

Giulia

Interesting question.  I know that pets can get cancer from second-hand smoke.  https://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/can-pets-get-cancer-owners-smoking   As to whether they respond differently to their owners, I would imagine they'd enjoy you a whole lot more that you're not as stinky and masking your own real scent with smoke.  Animal noses are much more sensitive than ours.

Barbara145

I quit chain-smoking (my use to be normal) I had 2 dogs.  I noticed no difference in how they interacted with me.  I felt so good that they were no longer being subjected to my carcinogens.

Barbscloud

I quit smoking with 1 dog and 1 cat.  I didn't notice any difference--they loved me just the same.

Barb

Legend

I have cats and they act the same around me still.   

Maki

I'm going to think differently about this question than some have here . 

I think it makes a huge difference to pets when we quit and they do react differently although we may not notice that as humans . 

Imo they have to notice the difference .

I smoked in the garage with my granddogs so much I couldn't even stand the smoke myself .. pets have even more sensitive noses than we do .

So when I stopped going to the garage I went out for more walks with them . I think my grandpups noticed that  .  Could tell by their excitment . 

I would guess they loved being around us more when we quit smoking and showed it too  .  Less sneezing I know from my grand dog when I quit blowing smoke in his face . He would shake his head and leave when I smoked ....then when I quit he stuck around longer for snuggles . 

Btw my grandog lived six years and died of cancer . Yes second hand smoke too is a killer . Love your pets , stop smoking . They will love you even more for it even if they don't show it , but  I think they do and know that something IS different when we quit and their behavior does change . 

noetoez

My dogs hated the smell of cigarette smoke, they are lap dogs and would never sit on my lap while I smoked. Or if they were on my lap, they would curl their little lips up and leave if the smoke came near their face. They did love accompanying me on multiple trips outside though. It was a habit change for all of us, but I never really realized until I went into my purse for chapstick or gum a couple times... And the dogs got excited and went to the back door.

I am almost 4 months quit. The dogs no longer get excited when I dig in my purse. When we do go out in the backyard, they are much more excited to be in my lap and no longer hesitate to check me for blowing smoke. I think we are all happier.

elvan

I did not smoke in the house but I had one cat who would follow me outside and try to eat my lips when I was smoking...she either loved the smell or wanted to clean me up.  I never quite figured it out.  She did it to other people too.  Maybe she was a closet smoker...

Giulia

"try to eat my lips"    hahahahaha - on the the floor!   You're entire comment is just making me choke with laughter.  Thank you!  ..."maybe she was a closet smoker....  "  dying here!