cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

dewest

After Chantix?

so... today is 6 months no smoking. also the last day of taking Chantix and its been great! I've quit it seems like hundreds of times and this was by far the easiest I've had it and the longest I've gone. but now I am terrified that, even though I know the nicotine is out of my system, that i'll slip now that I'm not taking it any longer. I've changed my habits and know my triggers, and I know just like an alchoholic will always want a drink i'll always want to smoke. I guess i'm just nervous about doing it without the help. I was never able to before....

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies
RoseH

Listen to yourself dewest‌    Your words are failure!  If we knew how damaging a  negative thought would affect our performance and outcome, well, you get it!  Think successful!  At some point in time you have to take control of your addiction to Nicotine!  You C A N do this!  And we are all here to support you!  If you think you can, you will!  Attitude is everything!  Congratulations on SIX months smoke free!  God bless and help you!

sweetplt

HI dewest ... start reaffirming your quit...by reading here blogs/posts, perhaps helping encourage others on this journey, also, re read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and remind yourself through out the day “you don’t do that anymore”... 6 months quit is super, but that first year is truly working on your quit and vigilance is the key...you can do this, don’t be afraid of the Freedom...~ Colleen 695 DOF 

Barbscloud

Big congrats on 6 months.  I'm glad the Chantix helped with your quit.  Remember that--it helped with your quit.  You're the one that did the work and made the commitment. Just remain vigilant.   That's something we all must do.  Just reach out if need some encouragement.

You got this!

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX you have come to the right place to work on protecting your quit. I believe what you are feeling is rather normal  You may have become to believe the Chantix was the cure, but it wasn't.  It was your willingness to do what ever else was necessary not to smoke. The Chantix was just an aide to get you there.  You still had to not smoke.  So never give up on what you have achieved or lessen where you are so far, never go back to day one.  Here we have a NOPE concept which basically boils down to no matter what is happening in your life not to smoke because life is going to happen. 

You say you have changed your habits.  You also have to change the way that you think.  Start believing you can stay free. Realize that you do not have to smoke.  Take the option to smoke off the table completely and have other things in place when the urge should come. See the blog @101 Things to do Instead of smoke. 

Yes, there will still be instances that your old smoking brain tells you that you want a cig.  Just because you think of something does not mean you have to act on it.  Those thoughts subside that you can just swat them like a gnat. Stay around and develop more tools and skillsets to remain free.  Congratulations on 6 months of freedom.  

AnnetteMM

Chantix hasn't  been keeping you from smoking  You've done that yourself! Chantix gave you the courage to begin.

You have no nicotine in your system? AWESOME!!!  Keep it that way. It's totally up to you now.

You've got this already!

ApprehensiveBruisedDikdik-small.gif