cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

juliee8282

Trying to quit

I'm 38 trying to quit smoking for the second time went back bc of a certain situation I was in, I'm quitting bc I'm in a better situation now. I'm mentally preparing myself it's going to be hard and cravings will come and go.im also trying to conceive and it's hard enough being overweight with pcos and on top of it all I'm smoker I'm trying to change that plus I'm trying to get weight loss surgery to try to conceive. I need a support

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s juliee8282 

Quitting smoking is a good decision especially with having upcoming surgery.  I recommend you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX where you plan your quit date and plan what you will do in place of smoking.  Then you will work towards your quit date like no other...the night before quitting, rid all smoking paraphernalia.  Keep close to the support site for help...we are here for you.  This journey takes hard work and commitment, but is doable.  Colleen ~ 690 DOF 

Cousin-Itt

Welcome juliee8282  Make a plan Pick a date as Colleen mentioned Learn as much as you can about the addiction, the withdraws the craves and how to beat them.   Being prepared and knowing what to expect will make quitting a little easier.  It takes work and a strong commitment   Yet it is So Worth It The best thing I've ever done for myself   Remember it does get easier    

Carl

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Educating myself about nicotine addiction and creating a quit plan, made quitting possible for me.  I skipped those two steps in the past and failed every time.  Pick a date and start your journey.   We're here to support you.  Just reach out anytime you need encouragement and want to share your journey.

Barb

That’s a lot of good reasons to quit. Most medical procedures require you not smoke a certain amount of day before and after. I needed to get my wisdom teeth out but when I read that I said “if I could quit for three days then I’d quit!” Never did have that surgery. It’s a good time to quit for you. We need every motivator. I quit because I got Covid. Good luck. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome! juliee8282 

Hopefully you saw our resources for pregnancy: Pregnancy & Smoking | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX 

We also have some information for surgery as well: Surgery & Smoking | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX 

And there are some places here on the community as well. MomsPregnant QuittersBariatric Surgery‌ that might be of interest as well.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
ThinBlueLine

This is the place you need to be.......I'm on day 4 and am having a tough day so I come here to get support and words of encouragement. The one thing I will say is that you must be strong and remember all the reasons your quitting. Those reasons and this site will keep you going. I know this because after 46 years of dipping snuff I have finally found what will make me successful. Me and this site.

Stay strong......you got this.....

elvan

Welcome to EX.  You can do this, remember that quitting is a journey and not an event.  You will recover from your surgery much faster as a nonsmoker and hopefully, you will welcome a little one into your life and your heart.  You do not have to take this journey alone, every person here wants you to be successful.  Read everything you can about this addiction and recovery and remember NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.  It can be very hard at first but it does get easier and with education and support and your own commitment, you CAN do this. I came to this site every morning and every evening and reinforced my commitment, I read blogs and paid attention to what was working for others...there will always be someone here who has either just passed where you are or is approaching it.  We help each other, YOU will be helping someone else before you know it.

Ellen

0 Kudos
tntimdynomite

juliee8282‌ I can relate to the struggles of trying to quit again. I didn't smoke for 4 years and then life threw me a curveball and at the age of 29, I made the "somethings got to kill me" decision to pick up the habit again. Due to circumstances beyond my control I found myself in a place mentally that wasn't healthy and quite frankly I really gave zero f***s about my health at the time. Now, I am 37, in a much better place mentally, and know I am capable of becoming an EX for good. I have the desire to quit and a lot of the reasons are the same as before. Disappointingly, I haven't been able to commit to any of the quit days I have tried to establish for the last honestly 6 years. I didn't want to be a smoker after 35 and that came and went. I have managed to be smoke-free for a month here and there over the years. I am ready to really commit this time. That's why I am here, I downloaded the CDC's quitSTART app and found this link on their page. My friends will support my decision to quit but, if I slip they will show me no mercy, therefore I feel like telling them I am trying to quit is counterproductive and it's better if I haven't smoked for a month or so already before I enlighten them. It makes the hardest part very lonely. I hope this community will help me get through the beginning so I can get to a place where I can share my journey with the people in my life without the fear of disappointing them and myself. I also hope that in the long run, this community will help prevent me from having a mental break 4+ smoke-free years down the road. I don't want to do this to myself again in the future. Perhaps if I had used the internet to find support back in 2008-2012 it would have provided me with what I needed to make a different decision despite the grief and depression I was experiencing. As of this month10 years have passed since the suicide of my loved one and I am here for the long hall. I don't want to be passively-aggressively stripping my life away anymore. Heck, it hasn't even been that for years it's just the addiction now. There are people in my life that I want to be healthy for. I am not trying to conceive, but my boyfriend's daughters recently lost their mother and came to live with us and I want them to see that we have the power in us to overcome all obstacles. I want to encourage them to be healthy and the only way is by example. I was the same age as them when I lost my own mother and I know that their father and I smoking must make them worry that they might lose us soon too. My quit date is in two weeks on Jan 02 and I am looking forward to living a long active life with my family, who isn't repulsed by the way my clothes smell or always waiting for me to get my fix instead of enjoying doing things together. My stepping out all the time to indulge the cigarette monster steals so much time from everyone and probably makes them feel that they are less important to me than a dumb, gross cigarette. I need them to know they are more important to me. I know your child is/will be more important to you and we're going to prove it together with a little help from our new found community.

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Thanks for telling your story. I'm sorry for your loss. You sound ready to make your quit work and Ex is your quit community--here for you 24/7. No need to go it all alone. Stay strong one day at a time.

0 Kudos