cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Johnlaka

Chest and back tightness

If anyone can please help me I’d appreciate it more than you could ever know. I am a 27 year old male who has been a heavy smoker since 17. My whole life I have battled with anxiety and a panic disorder. Recently, (about 2 months ago) I stopped smoking cigarettes and switched to the juul. I have never seen an allergist before but can guarantee I have terrible allergies and possibly even asthma as I do wheeze often. 2 times a year every year my chest starts to hurt I don’t feel good and end up on a Z-pack. As of now since quitting cigarettes and smoking the juul I feel worse then I ever have. My chest is extremely tight but what’s even worse is the tightness in my back. It feels as if my lungs are in actual pain. I also cough up mucus that has black specs throughout all of it. Is this normal? I have felt like my chest and back are in a vice grip for the past 2 months. Some days worse than others. 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RoseH

If you don’t have a primary care doctor, please get one!  We are not medical professionals Johnlaka

Please see a doctor asap...

RoseH

P.S.  Johnlaka   Another suggestion would be to go to the local hospital Emergency Room, if you don’t have a doctor.  Or go to one of the local Clinics that are open to everyone, in case of need.

Cousin-Itt

I'm not a doctor but I'm sure having chest tightness and coughing phlegm with black spots in it is not normal

I suggest you see your doctor  You can try decreasing the nicotine level which might help

But I would still see a doctor 

Carl    

sweetplt

Johnlaka I just wrote you under Trisha’s post...so glad you put out your own post hon...Welcome to Ex’s and Happy you came to our site....You traded one addiction for another....it is time to quit the addiction....your life depends on it...your symptoms sounds an awful lot like asthma, I know I suffer from it...That being said, we are not medical professionals call your Doctor ... the sooner you get to the bottom of how you are feeling, the better the outcome.  I agree with Rose...wheezing or not being able to breath, go to ER....Gotcha in my Thoughts ... please let us know what you decide or how you are doing...Colleen 

YoungAtHeart

I agree with the others.  Get thee to a doctor!  A few months back there were reports in the news of lung problems in young people who were vaping.  Do it TODAY!

Let us know when you are ready to quit vaping.  We can help you do that!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

Many have experienced chest pain and tightness but I did not. If you would do a word search you will see that. Use the magnifying glass top right corner to search the topic and see if you get an answer that best suits your situation.  If the symptom persists and unbearable contact your physician.  It is normal to cough up mucus.  I am not sure about the black spots but you may have a clue to what type of vape you were inhaling. There are many toxins in vaping. Glad you have quit.  I will see if I can research more on the topic and let you know. 

JACKIE1-25-15

There are so many entries on this subject. Here is one to help you get started. Again if the symptom persists see a doctor. (Feeling tightness in my chest after quitting, how long will it last? ) 

0 Kudos
Johnlaka

Thank you everyone for the comments and concern! As soon as I made this post I threw away my vape and decided to not smoke anything. I woke up today and actually feel a little bit better much less tightness in chest and back. I have no health insurance at the moment so the only option would be to go to the ER. I am going to continue with not smoking the vape AT ALL and see if my symptoms continue to decrease. If I don’t notice a significant difference within a week or so I will go to the ER to get check out. I will keep you all posted! Thanks again.

maryfreecig

That's a plan! Congratulations on tossing the vape. Ex is here to listen if you need or want to share. Keep it doable one day at a time.