cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Summerskyee

Need advice

I’ve been smoking heavy since I was 14.. I’m 22 now and I just can’t seem to kick this habit.. everything else in my life I’ve overcome but cigarettes just have a hold on me. I just need some advice.

7 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  You have come to the right place for support if you are ready to do whatever is necessary not to take Not One Puff Ever. NOPE.  Understanding that smoking is more of addiction then a habit is a great start by educating yourself about the addiction. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2013/08/11/foundation-for-a-successful-qui...‌ pastedImage_1.jpg

This is a great place to hang out and learn, read, study, blog, vent, and support.

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

The Law of Addiction: quitting's only rule:  

The Law of Addiction states, "Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

It's hard to quit because it's a chemical addiction to nicotine. Part of it is the psychological habits, for sure, but mostly our bodies have gotten so used to the chemical helping things along that it "thinks" it can't function without it. It's a LIE! You can do this. Read more on this site and come back here every day.

Summerskyee

Thank you I really appreciate it 

0 Kudos
RoseH

I am going to suggest that you start the quit journey by buying or trying to get this book from the library (if they have it for borrowing, otherwise the best price is on Amazon.com.  The book is by Allen Carr and is entitled, “The Easy Way To Quit Smoking”...  I was hooked on the drug Nicotine for over 50 years and this book helped me to quit.  You can do this, and we are all here to help and support you Summerskyee‌ 

Summerskyee

I appreciate it this so much, I feel like this is such a safe nice place to find help

0 Kudos
RoseH

Support like you get here is paramount to success!  It is so much easier to quit...  with others who are just like me and you!  Summerskyee

LeftysLady

Summerskyee  welcome, to Become An Ex.  This is a great site.  Follow the advice of those who have gone before.  They have good advice and many days of freedom behind them.  If you feel an uncontrollable urge to smoke come here and post HELP in your personal blog.  Someone will respond.

Sometimes just venting via your blog can release a lot of urges to smoke or to be grouchy.  Never be afraid to share here, they have all been there before us.  I am at the beginning of my second try since coming to the site and the fault lays squarely on my lips.  I chose to smoke instead of picking up my phone and coming here.  I will not make that mistake again.

I also recommend So Carr's book.  Read it with an open mind and you will get the help you need from it.

keep up the hard work, that is what quitting is, hard work.

Pam

4 Days of Freedom