AnsweredAssumed Answered

I've been struggling for years, quitting then relapsing... How can I stay quit for good?

Question asked by lisat76 on Oct 6, 2020
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2020 by elvan

I've been a smoker for over 20 years. During the last 5 years I've attempted to quit about a dozen times. My longest time without cigarettes has been 6 months, this year from January 2020 to late July. However, I turned to vapping during the second half of those 6 months, which defeated the purpose. Now I'm back, smoking a pack a day.  My health is declining, I'm constantly coughing and wheezing, and I know I'm too young to feel as old as I do. I have a new quit date in a few days, 10/10/2020, and I'm panicked! My mother and my aunt (twins) died a month apart in 2006 from lung disease as a result of years of smoking. Why I still continue, is beyond me. I'm about to turn 44 next month, and that was the age my mother was put on continuous oxygen because of COPD. They were only 54 years old when they passed. I refuse to go out like that. I am tired of this addiction, and I need it to end, yesterday! Can anyone offer any advice or tips on how to stick to my quit, with out all the anxiety and fear that I feel when I think about a day without smoking?  How do I practice self-control when the strength of my desire to smoke overcomes me, and I become frantic, looking for a way to smoke, even walking at 3am 2.5 miles to pick up a pack? Please Help! 

Lisa

Outcomes