cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

jeannie-1

beginner question...

What can I expect my first day of quitting? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Cousin-Itt

Nicotine withdraw can be intense but it is a temporary and will go away

Be prepared Take walks Drink lots of Water Find something to snack on  I used frozen grapes and dum dum pos to beat the craves for the longest time. The first 3 days are the worst Just take them 1 day at a time

See the source image

Read and learn as much as possible about Nicotine withdraw About craves and how to beat them

You can do this

maryfreecig

Don't be surprised by cravings. Plan for them. Make a list of what you will do other than smoke. Yes you can do this one day at a time. Welcome to Ex.

0 Kudos
Sootie

Both posts above are absolutely accurate. Pay special attention to maryfreecig‌ comment on not letting the craves surprise you. We sometimes think we are going to be "different" from everyone....that we are stronger or tougher....but the craves will come. Be ready for them! Expect them! Do not be afraid of them.....ride through them knowing they will go away. In the beginning, it can feel like one big crave but it does get better. And believe me----it is such a wonderful life on the other side! I wish I had quit sooner.

Many of us feel kind of tired and foggy the first days.....that also is normal and that also will go away. 

I was very easily annoyed by things......and that too will lessen as you add up the days of freedom from nicotine.

It is not easy to quit but neither is it impossible. We all did it and we are no different from you.

This is a fantastic support community......reach out whenever you need us!

Welcome to EX. We are all here for each other.

STAY STRONG

Welcome! The first day I was foggy headed and a bit irritated. Honestly I think day 2 and 3 are harder just because day 1 you are kind of "amped up" with excitement for this new chapter. But if you make plans on what to do to distract yourself you can get through them. I played games on my phone when I would normally smoke (after a meal, before bed, etc) as it kept my head and hands busy. Reach out here for support and encouragement when you need it. 

0 Kudos
RoseH

I will send you the Quit Kit by private message...  We smoke for every reason imaginable!  It will feel strange and you won’t feel “normal”...  The first week is called Hell Week.  The second week is called Heck Week...  Just put one foot in front of the other, and...  Do N O T buy, beg or borrow a butt and you will become a successful quitter!  Rosemary

0 Kudos
RoseH

Sorry!  My Quit kit is too long and it will not load fully in a private message...  I will have to figure something else out...  Or look for same info I can send in a link...

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  You've already gotten great answers.  The only thing  I can add is stay close the Ex especially in these early days.  When you have a craving reach out for support. 

Barb

0 Kudos