cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jen_819

Day One!

Here we go again! Good luck to all Day Oners!!! I don't have a ramble yet, my head hurts too bad to stare at the monitor much. Have a good day all! I will be here all day!!!

15 Replies
YoungAtHeart

SOOOO glad you are back at it.  It took lots of successful folks a bunch of tries before a quit finally took.

What will you do differently THIS time?  I hope you've done some reading;  made plans what to do if you find your mind taking you to that smoking place again ( EXCEPT smoke!), gotten your list of things to do when a crave hits, written down your reasons to quit to review when the going gets tough, figured out how to change up your routines so there are less associations with smoking.

Let us help you get it done THIS time!!!

Jen_819

Hi! I was so embarrassed to come back, I felt like I was wasting everyone's time with my other quits. I was just going to try to do it on my own, but I love the people here and honestly need you guys! I have made changes, I started running in the am to clear my head for the day. My problem is romancing the smoke. Any suggestions there? I am ok working through cravings, I will walk the dogs, come here, take deep breathes, drink my water. It's the romancing that gets me each time! I was thinking about giving my credit cards/debit cards to my fiancé for a couple weeks. We can go together to get gas or whatever else I may need. Just an idea.

YoungAtHeart

Putting your cards away from you for safe keeping is a good stop gap, I guess.  What, exactly, are you romancing?   What you might be doing is wanting to get the feeling of contentment you felt at one time.  Since you almost always had a cigarette when you had downtime and were relaxing, you might be thinking that a cigarette is required to get that feeling back.  At the beginning of a quit, that may be true - so you have to treat it just like a crave and get busy.  Don't think about recreating that feeling just yet - withdrawal will not allow it.  As you get further along, you CAN recreate that feeling and it won't require a smoke.  But - you need to be patient until those receptors die off - which they will do as long as you don't re-energize them.

All a cigarette will do is quiet the brain sensors from niggling for their next fix - until they start to fire up again and you need yet another one to quiet them and another, and...ad infinitum.

You are going to have to give this the time it takes, knowing it will get easier, and I promise it WILL.

Until it does you just have to hang in there!

DavesTime

Jen, NEVER be embarassed to come back. And even if you are, do it anyhow. It's not like most of us never caved in and started smoking after we had committed to quit.  I literally cannot count the number of times I quit and went back to it.  Trying to quit "on my own" never worked for me.  I would always find an excuse--which at the time I had convinced myself was completely justified--for having "just one." Of course it was never just that one.  It got to the point where I would tell myself "just one," even knowing that I would smoke the rest of the pack and run to the convenience store for one (or two) others.  Do you want to know how long ago it was that I first seriously tried to quit?  I think it was 1984!  I put out that last cig and told myself it was my final one.  I didn't end up really quitting until 2018! (Now THAT'S embarassing!)  Imagine the damage I did to my health all those years!  It may still come back to haunt me some day.  The DIFFERENCE this time is that EX gave me accountability, support, and a group of folks who, because they had been where I was, could give the the help that I needed.  Glad you are back---and YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Jen_819

Thank you! I am glad you are quit now! I feel so much better every time I quit, so I don't know why I go back. I am keeping it in my head this time that it is going to start getting cold and windy here and I don't want to stand outside shivering just to smoke. I got this!!! I SO appreciate all the encouragement I get here. I couldn't get through my quit days without this site!

Cousin-Itt

Glad you not giving up a I believe you can do this

Jen_819

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Glad you're back on your journey.  You haven't given up--that show how much you want this.

Barb

Jen_819

I want this so bad!!!

0 Kudos