cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tibbetsethan

Depression has been better since quitting smoking

So it's kind of weird, but my depression has actually been better since I quit smoking. I'm laughing some, even during hard times. My anxiety is through the roof but the depression was one of the hardest things I was dealing with. I had been on antidepressants for years until my doctor took me off of them right before I quit and then I got sick, well I had pretty bad depression then I quit smoking and since then I've actually handled things a lot better than I used to even on antidepressants. Who knew? I also haven't been fighting with family as much, I'm calmer is what they say. 

Now if the anxiety would quit, that'd be perfect. Anyone else's moods actually get better after quitting, or is that just me?

5 Replies

This quit, I feel like my emotions are much better. I still have tough days but I'm much more 'even', not the crazy mood swings like I've had before. I think I've read articles that, despite a lot of us smoking to "help" our anxiety and depression, in reality it makes it worse. 

tibbetsethan

I saw that too, I think in honesty it makes our anxiety worse for sure. Depression is hard to regulate but I think as you get further into the quit things kind of even out? I don't know but I have felt a lot better, anxiety is another demon, I'm trying to mellow out on it, and sometimes it works but I think I'll just have to find ways to cope. Congrats on your quit! I'm on day 11!  Hope you are well!

0 Kudos

I think it takes a long time to learn to deal with anxiety and depression without  using nicotine. It does get better the farther into your quit. Congrats on 11 days, you're almost to 2 weeks!!!

0 Kudos
green1611

Indeed it gets better and better.

Congratulations on your quit, and all the best !

0 Kudos
MarilynH

I found the longer I was quit the easier it got and I found it much easier to deal with life on life's terms without the crutch of cigarettes it took awhile before I realized it BUT I think that was one of the best AHA Moments that I've had since I quit smoking  Congrats on your precious quit journey YAY for Smokefree living and YAY for each and every Day WON.....