cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Maeg

Do I want to quit?

I’m officially 12 hours smoke free, and now I’m questioning my decision to quit. Do I even want to quit? I’m so over this feeling already. All I can think about is walking to the corner store to get a pack and light up. I feel like tearing this patch off and scrapping the entire idea. Why does this seem like a losing battle for me? 

24 Replies
Maki

Well , I don't know what your reasons are to quit but they are likely good reasons . 

You might want to list them . Put them by your bed and read them , put them on your mirror and read them , put them on your fridge and read them . Keep a copy in your purse and read them . You are worth this freedom . 

Addiction has your thinking twisted . You can quit , you should quit , you need to . The cigarette is saying you can't and you are believing a lie because to be honest this is hard . We hear ya . It was for most of us too so we understand , but it was worth it . Trust us. I doubt you will find a person with a year quit or even less that would say they would like to run to the store and buy a pack . Most of us would like to say a thing or two to Big T though . 

Hang in there , stay with us, read ... the testimonies here that will help you see the good and the bad . All who've quit are grateful for sticking out the tough stuff to get to the good stuff . You will be too . 

Congrats-on 12 hours-quit .. those mean more to me than thousands of days quit because honestly I know how hard those first few days and weeks are .. hang in there .. write your reasons when your head is clear and refer bk to them often . They are valid reasons . 

Copd is no fun .. and COVID ,  these things need strong lungs , take care of them . You only have one pair . 

tyndallgw

Meagan,  you will only be successful in your quit if you really, really want it.  That's simply because it's difficult for everyone.  You have to take it moment by moment....just don't light up!  

maryfreecig

Well, because smoking causes addiction to nicotine, to quit you have to weight your chances to quit in your favor. If you leave it to a craving to decide for you whether you want to quit, you'll get bogged down in the messy stuff. Here at Ex you can learn to get beyond the unpleasant feeling of having no nicotine. Quitting is a one day at a time job--not a week, a month, a year. We handle the tough moments in the day. 

Funny. You quit. Got cravings, came here. I'm kinda thinking your higher angel is talking to you. 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-... by Jackie

Getting Better by Thomas

What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

Maeg

This. I haven't tried to lean on a community before when I have attempted to quit in the past. Just even writing this post (basically feeling sorry for myself) helped me to do something else to get through that intense craving. I know this decision of feeling torn is because I am trying to break a habit. Later today we are going to our neighbor's house for dinner, and I'm worried about caving because half of them smoke. I'm going to make a conscious decision to go home if the temptation gets to be too strong for me. I might be back here to get support instead of giving in. 

maryfreecig

How did your dinner go? One day at a time you can do this!

0 Kudos
Maeg

It went well! A couple friends were smoking, and instead of getting a craving, I was really disgusted at the smell. I wasn't tempted at all because 1 they all smoke menthols (gross) and 2 I had been doing so great all day and I didn't want to ruin all of my progress. 

JACKIE1-25-15

You have come to the right place for support.  I am glad that you chose to come here instead of going to the store.  That lets me know that yes you do want to quit.  You have been telling yourself that for a long time.  It takes time for that mindset to change.  You have to start telling yourself that you do not want to smoke and do not need to smoke.  The addiction will play tricks on your mind. It will be a battle between to forces.  You have to do the right thing and not take a puff no matter what.  In fact, you have to take the option to smoke off of the table and do something different and keep on doing something different until you get to the place that there isn't the pull to smoke or not to smoke but just not to smoke.  You only get there by not smoking no matter what. NOPE  Never give up never give in.  You have to hang tough. 

Maeg

It is funny you say that smoking needs to be taken off the table. I keep leaning back on the thought that I can go back to it anytime I want. I need to stop thinking this way. It is not an option. Being more mindful of this is super important for me. I just really have to keep reminding myself that my biggest struggle is fighting the psychological addiction. The NRT is taking care of the physical addiction. It is just a matter of overcoming the increased anxiety that comes along with changing an entire portion of my day. 

elvan

The psychological addiction was absolutely the hardest thing for me.  I smoked for many years and smoking was tied to just about everything I did.  I had to figure out what I would do instead of smoking.  Coming here and blogging was great, so was reading blogs and comments and paying attention to what was working for other people.  I listened when advice was offered, I also accepted NOPE, Not One Puff Ever as my motto.  It was the only way I could quit.  I had many failed quits in the past but this one has gone on for over 6 1/2 years thanks to this site.  People are supportive and seriously intuitive about quitting and about how to make it work. Welcome to EX.

Ellen