cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Suzinut

Anyone with nodules?

I recently had a CT scan for lung cancer screaning and was found to have 4 small nodules.  I was told probably benign but need to go back in 6 months.  My doctor said quit now.  Its been 3 weeks since this news and i still havent quit although i am terrified.  You would think tbe fear would have gotten me to quit.  I am hear to find that motivation.  I am just wondering if anyone else has nodules and what were the results?  

12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

I have not experienced those test results and hope others who have will check in.  Most of us were afraid to quit!  We didn't know what to expect, and feared failure, I think.  If you do some of the reading I will recommend, and do some reading of others' experiences, I think you may start to fell encouraged about taking it on.  I know the book by Allen Carr I recommend made me see smoking in a whole new light.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time. I do not recommend the e-cigarette for obvious reasons.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Giulia

There are MANY here who have had nodules on their lungs.  I will let THEM speak about that, for they have the best knowledge and advice to offer in that regard.  Let me just say that because of what they have told us on this site, there are many ways of dealing with them.  If they're benign it's one thing.  If they're not - it's another.  But either way there ARE ways of dealing with them.  So don't freak out.

Quitting is the BEST thing you can do for yourself - either way.  I want you to think about something, though.  You're terrified having gotten this news, right?  But not enough to make a change.  (You're not alone in that.  This is a strong addiction.)   EXCEPT you did get yourself on this quit site.  That's a big positive.  That's a first step.  OK, and you're also terrified of quitting.   I totally understand that too.  Which terror is the greater for you is the question you ultimately have to answer.  Even if the nodules ARE benign - will you get more of them?  Will they become non-benign in the future?  Another question for you, that you might need to answer for yourself.  IF the nodules (hopefully) ARE benign - what then?  Is that a good reason (aka excuse) to continue to smoke?  Won't you still be in fear of what the future of smoking may produce?  Of course you will.  At least that's been true for most of us.  In the background of our minds we always know and knew what this does to our lungs and health.  And most of us have paid for it, one way or another, sooner or later.  And what each of us is trying to offer here is our knowledge based upon our own personal experience.

Either way, it seems to me, there is going to be fear.  Let me just say stopping smoking won't kill you.  And although it's darn hard, the day you choose to quit smoking/vaping is the day one of your fears lessons tremendously.  Can't say that's true for the other fear.  (That's just because it's an addition.  And THAT can be conquered!)  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2018/03/01/quitting-is-a-skill-that-can-be-learned?sr=search&searchId=6b86a9c9-39...

So this is the time to sit down with yourself and ask those really important questions.  This is a process, a journey that takes a great deal of self honesty.   Some of the answers may not be pleasant if it has to do with personal failings.  But the great thing about this journey is in the discovery of who we are and forgiving ourselves for our stupidities.  We grow the most by recognizing out stupidities (aka lack of knowledge) and saying "I don't want to do that again.  I GET it!"  The whole quitting process can be SO EXCITING if we just look at it as a learning experience and a fun challenge.  

You're afraid, right?  You want to quit, right?  GO FOR IT!  The only thing have to fear is the future if you keep smoking.  Have heart.  You're not alone.  Welcome to the family.

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Suzinut 

I don’t have nodules...however, like you I am/was an addict...and I did the work here and quit smoking...it is my third and last quit.  It is doable...please heed the Doctors advice and start the journey.  You and Your Life depends on it...we are here to help you...Colleen 666 DOF 

Barbscloud

Yes, over the years I've had nodules on the Low Dose Lung CT.  This just happened on my last LDCT, so the doctor followed up in 3 months with a regular CT as was done in the past.   In all cases the nodules were gone.  

Fear doesn't always motivate us to quit or we would have quit many years ago.  But this certainly is a good time to make that commitment while it's fresh on your mind.   Educate yourself about nicotine addiction.  Understanding the addiction makes quitting a reality.  Create your quit plan and begin your journey.  We're here to support you.  You can do this one day at time.

Barb

indingrl

on YOUR DOCTOR giving YOU a GOOD SUGGESTION - yahooooooooo - I am so glad YOUR here - keep on blogging BEFORE you take that first puff over you - N.O.P.E. is the word of the day- NotOnePuffEver - N.O.P.E.

Barbara145

Welcome.  I was able to quit with the help of this site.  I was unable to quit on my own after several attempts.  I had nodules 2 years ago.  They did a Pet Scan and  (after the CT.)  It showed no cancer.  It was decided that it was scarring.  They repeated it in one year.  So far so good.  You can quit.  I highly recommend it.  It takes commitment and work but is life-changingly wonderful. Stick close to this site and read everything you can about the subject of quitting.

Cousin-Itt

I was was told 4 over years I had emphysema,  2 nodules and a large mass in my upper right lung I was lucky all were benign  The mass was some type infection that a long series of steroids and antibiotics take care  My nodules have not grown since I quit My last scan was 3 months ago.  Yes I quit because I was scared  You see I woke up in a hospital my hands tied to the and on a ventilator My wife and sons standing over me  The doctor told me the first night they only gave me a 50/50 chance  to make it

I'm asking you right now to use all the strength you have to quit Don't Wait Don't put you family thru what I put mine thru and don't put yourself thru it  I can tell you right now I'm thankful to be here and quit.   Even with my emphysema I'm breathing better today than before I went in the hospital   

Carl

elvan

I have nodules, have had them since my first CT in 2015, none have grown or multiplied but l did have to have a repeat scan after l had lung surgery (to remove both of my upper lobes).  I had significant scarring but nothing else. I live every day short of breath & with overwhelming fatigue.  I have COPD & my lobes were surgically removed because of the damage from smoking. I quit over 6 1/2 years ago, thanks to this site. I SO wish l had quit years before. Quitting is not easy but it is SO WORTH it, it empowers us in ways we could not imagine, well at least l couldn’t. Welcome to EX.

Ellen

Suzinut

Thank you so much for sharing.  I am just so scared.  I love this site and i am getting empowered.  I smoked a few today but far less than usual.  I will do this!