cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

debbiec63

Day one

Hey everyone. day 1 here.. i quit smoking cigarettes 10 years ago, however picked up the vape habit in last 3 years.  yes not very smart.. anyway... I was hoping to come here for support from and to help support fellow quitters.  thank you!

14 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on making the decision to be free from the addiction of nicotine. Quitting is very hard but DOABLE .  Many of us have done so with the help of this support group. It is going to require discipline and commitment It is suggested that you wean yourself from the vape by reducing the number of mgs and times that you vape. Get rid of anything associated with vaping.  Destroy it!    It really takes the commitment never to touch it again no matter how bad you feel because it gets better in time. You have to go through withdrawal-like any other drug.  To make it easier  101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke As far as your  Explain to her what you are about to do and let her know that it is nothing against her.  It takes about 3 days for most of the nicotine to be out of your body but the mental adjustment makes take longer.  You have to be willing to do whatever is necessary.  

Make quitting vaping your number one priority and make up your mind that you can.  Relearning your thinking that you do not have to smoke or vape is a good beginning.  Make a commitment never ever take another puff.  NOPE.  Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke SINAO smoking is not an option.  That is the NOPE concept, not one puff ever. It is not by will power but your willingness to let it go forever.   Quitting is the easy part.  Staying quit takes work.   Learning to protect your quit will keep on your journey forever freedom. This journey is one day at a time.  Never give up, never give in. Hang tough Stay Close.

indingrl

Yahooooooo - I am so happy for you - WAY TO GO

sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s...debbiec63 

I am glad you found us...it is great you quit smoking, but one addiction was traded for another...I am happy you are going to quit vaping.  It seems many here that quit vaping, found it harder, but definitely doable.  Might I suggest, you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX then rid all vaping/smoking paraphernalia when you quit, rid as much as you can on addiction, and be sure to come here for support and encourage others on this journey.  WE are here for you...

You may want to join the vape group along with this forum https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/e-cig-users 

~ Colleen 665 DOF 

Welcome, glad you are here! You are in the right place for support, this site has helped me so much. Congrats on 3 days! 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Considering vaping to be “safe” is far from a given - there is much research to be done. What we know is that vaping raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack. There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. Recently vaping has been in the headlines because of the possibility of it causing severe lung damage in young people. An August, 2019 study at the University of Pennsylvania showed that a single instance of vaping immediately lead to reduced vascular function: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190820101601.htm

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

You didn't mention if you are using an NRT, so I will give you my thoughts on them. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

green1611

Welcome !

You are in right direction....

Keep going ... No to nicotine.

Congratulations !

All the best !

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Glad to hear you're getting back on track.  Do the work and you'll be successful.  We're here for you.   Just reach out anytime you need encouragement or want to share your journey.

Barb

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Congratulations on your vape quit. Yes you can, one day at a time.

MarilynH

Welcome to the community we're all here to help you in any way we can, you've got this quit firmly in your grasp deep breaths and believe in yourself because we believe in you and we're rooting you on.....