cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jen_819

My Past Life

Just doing something to stay busy for a bit. I was thinking about this last night and wanted to document it so I knew almost exactly how many and how much time I wasted per day. Just thought I'd share so everyone that has set a quit date realizes that smoking is such a waste. I can't preach too much because I am only on Day 3, but at least I have 2 days of freedom!!!

1. Wake up 6am, let the dogs out-smoke
  2. While letting makeup dry-smoke
  3. All ready to go to work, let the dogs out one more time-smoke
  4. Get in car, 1/4 mile down the road-smoke
  5. After leaving the carry out where I just bought a pack of cigarettes, 5 hour energy drink, and a mountain dew-smoke
  6. Half way point of expressway-smoke
  7. Off expressway-smoke
  8. Almost to work-smoke
  9. Break 1030a-smoke
  10. Break 1200-smoke
  11. Break 230-smoke
  12. Leave work 4:00-smoke
  13. Half way to e-way-smoke
  14. On e-way, half way mark-smoke
  15. Off e-way-smoke
  16. Almost home-smoke
  17. Let the dogs out-smoke
  18. Finished making dinner-smoke
  19. Finished eating dinner-smoke
  20. Watch some tv, take a short nap, wake up-smoke
  21. Put in laundry-smoke
  22. Do dishes-smoke
  23. Walk around the yard looking at flowers/plants-smoke
  24. Get ready to take a shower-smoke
  25. After shower-smoke
  26. Take dogs out-smoke
  27. Go to bed, "nooky" time-smoke

****And who knows how many extras may have been between these documented for sure times. Here I thought I only smoked a pack a day, but I was over that!!! Probably a pack and a half at least!!!! This actually helped me more then I thought. It was an eye opener that's for sure!!! At least 2 1/2 hours a day spent on smoking!! This is all just stupid!

16 Replies
Barbscloud

Good use of your time documenting your smoking routine.   

Barb

YoungAtHeart

NOW - what can you do INSTEAD?  Also a good thing to be thinking about.  Maybe take a walk with those dogs?  Try a new recipe?   Make some homemade bread?  Play a computer game?  Do a crossword or jigsaw?  Find a good book and read it?  Write The Great American Novel?

Be sure to get ready for your newfound leisure hours -boredom is the playground of addiction!

Be prepared; not surprised!

Jen_819

I did walk the doggies last night and we all enjoyed it  You are right about boredom, that makes me nervous, but I think am prepared.

maryfreecig

Well said.

elvan

LOVED this.  I remember quitting years ago when I worked for a surgeon and he closed his office from 12:00 until 2:00, the receptionist and I both smoked and we would go smoke our lunches and talk, etc.  We both quit when he said he would give us each $100 if we did not smoke for three months.  We both took him up on it (neither one of us made it).  It SOUNDED GREAT, we had to start immediately and we could not go have just one more before starting.  After we quit, we would sit around for that two hour break and wonder what on earth we did with those two hours because we were more than ready to return to work after an hour.  Made the doc happy, we changed lunch for office staff and worked 1:00-2:00 doing things that did not require his presence.  Makes me laugh now when I think about it, I really wish I had known what I was doing and had kept that quit.

Ellen

Jen_819

Wow!!!

sweetplt

Jen_819 Yeah to day 3...when you quit smoking you start to realize how much time we wasted on smoking...breaking the chain of the addiction becomes our Freedom...Colleen 660 DOF 

Congrats on day 3! Yep, that list sounds a lot like mine. 

Giulia

You're doing your homework.  Good!  That's EXACTLY the kind of in-depth personal inventory study it takes to overcome this addiction.  Kudos!