cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Cigarettes Not Smoked

As most of you know we measure statistics of our quits by the amount of cigarettes not smoked and by the money not spent on them. My husband is a 'numbers' type guy since he was a helicopter and fighter jet mechanic. He has been the manager of the machine shop where if the metal parts are off by even a 10,000th of an inch it has to be remade. So I told him how many cigarettes I hadn't smoked and he decided to figure out some different metrics that blew my mind.
So here's mine:

I'm 2 years quit and that is 14,600 cigarettes I haven't smoked. I used to smoke 100s lengths.

14,600 cigarettes equals 73 cartons

If a carton of 100s is about 4" tall 73 cartons is a stack almost 24' tall!

If a 100s cigarette is about 4" long that's a line almost a mile long (9/10 ths) if laid end to end.

For me that's another great motivator and something to be proud of as I add more miles and height every day. I think it would be cool if you calculate yours and share them here. Even one cigarette has a measurement so post it and be proud!

13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I am NOT a math or numbers person, so this exercise made my head hurt, but.............after over eight years, I think (and take this with at least a grain of salt) my lovely totals might be:

At about 25 a day, that is 74,975 cigarettes not smoked

That would  be 3,749 packs.  At 10 packs to a carton; that would equal 374 cartons.

A carton being  4" tall each, the stack of them would be 124 ft.

Measuring 3.3 inches (Marlboro Reds), end to end they would measure 2,474,174 inches or 389 MILES!

WOW!  I could lay them on the road to the ocean, drive there and back, and still have about 89 left!!

minihorses

No worries, it confuzzeled me too and I was sitting there! He did this in his head too, no calculator or paper.  You did your math perfect. WOW, that's awesome! Somedays I 'don't know my own name' and yet he does this kind of stuff in his head. I've forgotten most of algrebra other than simple stuff and the only geometry I use is the basics necessary for house type measurements. That's one of reasons I keep him around 

Emoji Hihi GIF - Emoji Hihi Giggles - Discover & Share GIFs

YoungAtHeart

minihorses There are people with the math side of their brain better developed, and ones with the artistic/language side being stronger.  I am not in the first category!!!!

0 Kudos
minihorses

I have always sucked at both. I haven't even been able to play piano in years because I could no longer read and play both clefts at the same time.  I also can't draw a straight line on graph paper using a ruler. 

YoungAtHeart

minihorses    I think the straight line problem is one of the left brain - I can't do that, either.  I can use a ruler, make dots the same distance from the edge of a paper, hold the ruler up to those dots and STILL have a slanted line.  It truly befuddles me.  But - I can draw one heck of a nude, or a group of objects, or a tree, or flower, or a coat hanging on a hook, or..............most anything that interests me.  I had an art teacher who TOTALLY screwed up my ability to draw things in perspective, though.   She claimed not to be able to do it, but was required to teach it - and after her I could not for the life of me remember how to do it.  I have not worked at drawing since.  I do other things now - and I keep telling myself I am going to work at learning it again - but just have not had the patience - and it used to just be second nature!!!    Maybe this winter when I can't go out anywhere I will be forced to get to it???!

sweetplt

Hi Julie minihorses Not sure of all my stats, but I have this on my app...

pastedImage_3.png And Darn proud...Your math looks impressive...we are doing it...Yeah...! Colleen 

I am celebrating 75 days of freedom, which is 1,125 not smoked or 56 packs or 5.6 cartons. At 4" tall that would be 22.5 inches. The line of cigarettes would be about 309 feet (I'm taking YoungAtHeart‌ word that they are 3.3 inches, she hasn't lead me wrong yet )

My numbers aren't nearly as impressive, but still fun to add it up. 

YoungAtHeart

smiling_accountant I got here the same way you are doing it - one day at a time!  Keep at it and you'll be here, too (just a little after me!)

minihorses

Every cigarette not smoked is impressive so don't sell yourself short! Pretty soon you'll take another step and stacked up another carton!

0 Kudos