cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

LeftysLady

How did you feel going back into public

With COVID-19 and the fact that we are retired I have not left my home in the last 5 days.  Yet the next two days will be in public.  I will have Mr. Smiley face the stress ball with me.  I have already arranged for my daughter to take her brother shopping. I'm nervous, I know that God has me covered.  So how did you feel?

12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

For me, going out and possibly exposing myself to this virus is terrifying.  Having been born with only one kidney and being of a certain age, I have played it 100% safe and have not left my house/yard except to swim laps at a neighbor's pool since the first week in March.  I have been on a ventilator and do not intend to EVER go through that experience again!  Getting my groceries and other essentials delivered, Staying busy swimming every day, working in my yard and gardens have kept me sane. . I socially distance visit outside with a few friends who have not been out except to the grocery store,  NO idea how I am going to get through this coming Fall and winter.  Hoping I can work my way up to long walks.

If you wear a mask and have good hand sanitizer available and use it, you should be fine.   I have read that most cases now are being caused by family gatherings, indoor dining and parties...all without regard to mask wearing or social distancing.  The good news is you can keep the mask on properly and not have to pull it down to smoke!  Just be mindful as you venture out.

Smoking will not be required.

JACKIE1-25-15

I feel okay when I go out in public because I take the necessary precautions.  I have been out shopping on several occasions more lately than before. I am home for the most part but when I go out I wear a mask.  I keep hands wipes readily available to use to wipe carts and items as I pick them up.   I make sure I keep my distance.  I keep my hands clean and try to make sure not to put them in my face.  I think distancing and personal hygiene is key.  My son works every day.  He wears a mask and frequently cleans his hands in alcohol.  He showers immediately when returning home.  I think what is happening in your area and lifestyle plays a major part in how to go about not contracting COVID. Think safe and STay safe.  Just think you won't be one of those people putting a cigarette in your mouth, so you will have lesser chance of contracting it.  If you gotta go, you gotta go. 

Maki

Not sure if your list refers to going out being smoke free or going out with covid so I will answer both in regard to my quit .

Like you I stayed home the first while when I was quitting . Then I started going out to quiet settings like the park . I was quite emotional during my quit so wasn't going too far with puffy eyes you know what I mean . I would notice people smoking everywhere . Common . The smell was gross sometimes , pleasant others . Kept the quit regardless cause smoke free was the goal . Then I started mall walking . Smoking was never a thought . I kept my eye on the prize.

Now in relation to covid . I've been out only for necessary  blood work , port flushes , product for treatment , ( once a month  ) been out twice to a store since February . Went the other day and it was not a pleasant experience . The goal is to keep each other safe . While people did wear masks they seemed to forget about distancing . Both imo should be followed . I will not go again .

I called my dr in regard to an upcoming work trip planned only because it will be necessary to relocate in the near future and agreed it is cancelled  . It is not safe enough for me to do so .  Praying for a safe vaccine for us all to be available soon.  Going out made me realize to keep others safe and myself the bubbles safest . That said I'm a senior . I don't have to work. My kids are frontline workers . I pray for those who have no choice and are working to help save lives , and for their families . 

I have had maybe a handful of distanced visits with family since Feb. Once snow falls I will be again isolating indoors with no family visits other than by phone .  Stay safe k and stay smoke free . 

AnnetteMM

I am extremely cautious going out, and I actively avoid gatherings of any kind.  I do see one sister-in-law monthly, but we're both old and rarely go anywhere.  I understand the anxiety totally. Stay safe.

sweetplt

My public outing in the beginning months with covid consisted of grocery shopping, drugstore and walking the dog.  Finally I have eaten out dinner twice ... but only outside...I have traveled by car and found many are working so hard at helping to keep each other safe...I find we can do the best we can at keeping safe, (masks, cleaners, etc.,) but much is lifted up in faith...be safe and be well...~ Colleen 652 DOF 

Giulia

I am not worried a whole lot about going to stores and do so on a regular basis.  Was a lot more worried in the beginning than now.  I am even less worried when being outside around people at a distance.  I do wear a mask when inside stores.  I learned a long time ago not to touch my face.  I do still wash my hands the minute I get home and still sanitize my groceries.  But I'm beginning to wonder if I even need to do that.  Have been out to eat twice at restaurants.  There I do have a sense of danger.  Especially in the first eatery where the staff didn't use masks.  (Won't be going back there any time soon.)  Essentially it's what Jackie said:  "I feel okay when I go out in public because I take the necessary precautions."

I've been working from home since mid March, so I mostly go out for groceries and to the library. I'm lucky to have a state park near by, so I walk the trails frequently. I have done a few non necessary shopping trips recently, but just took reasonable precautions. I agree with what others have said - some people don't keep their distance. I just move away from them, even if it's an inconvenience. I haven't ate at a restaurant yet, but do get something to go now and again. Good luck on your outings this weekend! 

Sootie

Everyone seemed to respond with a "covid" answer----but, I thought you were speaking about now going out smoke free.................so..............

1. Most of us who smoked, smoked a lot in the car. So BE AWARE of this possible trigger and PLAN for it. This may sound weird but I found that taking a small bottle of something that smelled good---essential oils or something ---and sniffing it really helped while driving (DON'T ASK ME WHY----NO IDEA!)

2. Try not to go to places where smoking was your thing....for instance...if you and a friend hung out and had coffee and smoked.....don't go there.

3. If you have to go out to do usual errands.....try to be aware and analyze how you feel....even if it's bad. Make it a sort of scientific experiment......"wow....I'm feeling really anxious trying to get through this grocery store...strange." Hmmmm.....did not think about smoking the entire time i was in Lowe's....interesting.

4. If you are overcome by feelings that you are going to slip...go back home. I think covid taught all of us....you can get most things delivered and what you can't you can live without for awhile. 

Above all else...tell your self before you go out....that NO MATTER WHAT you will not smoke. And good luck! Stay Strong.

LeftysLady

Thank you for all my answers.  Mmy question was more targeted toward your first time in public after quitting.

Today was 6 DOF.  I changed my routine a little and did not take my ASD son with me.  I realized we treat each other like parent and child, when he is 21 years old physically and approximately 16 mentally.  So that made my day going a little smoother.  I took my time enjoyed my music and did my shopping.  I bought myself some chicken salad, fritos, and a sprite for lunch.  Took care of the banking and made it home.  The hardest part of that excursion was the last 2 hours.  That was when the hardest craving I have had since I quit began.  It wasn't a slam me against the wall carving, it was slow and nibbling all day.  Yet when it made itself know I was just finishing loading my groceries in the truck, I stopped and took a deep breath.  Then I turned my cart headed for the cart return, picked up someone elses along the way.  Deep breathing until I got in the truck to come home.  Then as I was putting the groceries away it hit again, I just kept moving and drinking water.

Thanks for all the tips

Pam