cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

angelpar

Excuses! Excuses! Excuses!

As I am approaching 2 milestones, I have been looking back.  In this I realized I am an excuse monger or was.  First milestone is 2 half years cancer free and second is 2 years smoke free.  My quit date 9/29/2018.  I still have time to my 2 years, but I have been looking back with great thought.  I realized I had excuse for every cigarette. Some on my many excuses:

I am sad.

I am upset.

I am stressed out.

I am anxious.

I am scared.

I am angry.

It helps me relax.

I live with other smokers.

I use my roommate’s cancer and death from smoking  as excuse.  Then my own cancer as excuse to smoke. It was not the cancer; it was the feelings.  I could not deal the emotions.  I would stuff food or a cigarette in my mouth instead of expressing my feelings.  My roommate was more than a roommate, she was a sister.  A friend for 20 years and a roommate for 14 years. 

I literally would chain smoke before and after visit with my roommate when she was on hospice.  As I prepared for my cancer surgery, I did same thing chain smoked.  To be totally honest I didn't even say I am sad or any of the other excuses.  I just put a cigarette in my mouth. If questioned I would say I need it.  I am saying the excuses/emotions now because I understand that cigarette and food where a substitute for expressing any feeling.  Whether said or not they were my excuses.  I was very emotional##@@@@@ avoidant. Seriously, if there was a uncomfortable feeling I would literally find a way to distract myself from it.

I ask everyone to look at their excuses. If you look hard enough most excuses have emotion behind them.  Emotions are not meant to be excuses for habit or bad behavior.  Emotion are part of being human.  They are to be expressed and dealt with appropriately. 

I think it is important to recognize why we are smoking.  It is not just a bad habit or addiction.  There other things behind it.  In my quit it has been helpful to be honest with myself. 

So, I ask you to look at yourself and question yourself about your smoking.  Then work on the reason behind your smoking.  I wish great success.  I know you can do it.  Look to other post and blogs to help you with your quit.  Post if you need help or to encourage others. 

26 Replies
sweetplt

We all had so many excuses and one year turned into two years ... before any of us knew, we were smoking 30 years.  This is my third and last quit and I quit before Christmas and New Year’s...I wanted to make the excuse that I couldn’t quit near a Holiday and I had enough of my excuses and quit before the Holiday...it was ok...no worse and no better...December 3rd I will celebrate my two years and glad I am done with the excuses...~ Colleen 650 DOF

Congratulations angelpar on your upcoming two years...Of Freedom and I am hoping in remission...be well...and Enjoy Your Freedom...!

YoungAtHeart

Forgot congratulations on TWO YEARS!  That is HUGE!  NOW you know that there is never a good reason to smoke - right?!

I think MOST of us hid from uncomfortable feelings, people and situations behind that cloud of smoke.  A BIG part of the quit journey is learning to deal with it all head on.

Even at 8+ years, I am STILL learning how to deal with some of them.  Anger and frustration are still my biggest challenges, and I have not yet entirely learned the lesson of deep breaths, or taking a walk, or marching in place, or counting backwards from 10,000.  I can GIVE advice on how best to deal, but haven't yet learned to DO it all of the time.

STILL a work in progress!

DavesTime

Nancy, thank you for sharing this.  At two years quit I was wondering why I still feel challenged when some of my past "smoking" triggers confront me.  I wondered if I hadn't fully "made it" as a quitter.  Your words have encouraged me that I'm on the right track as a smoke-free "work in progress." Thank you!

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary! Very impressive. I had many of the same excuses, I think my go to excuse was anxiety. 

0 Kudos
elvan

CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming anniversary.  That is my youngest sister's birthday.  What a great job you have been doing, smoking is NOT normal, it does NOT fix anything, it is DOES cause irreparable damage.

Ellen

0 Kudos
RoseH

Oh I remember the excuses!  That’s the addiction talking!  You are doing great!Well Done.jpg

meWisconsin

Congratulations on your 2 years smoke free.

We all had many excuses for smoking and it takes time to realize that is just what they were. Excuses. Wonderful blog.

Terry

Keep up the good quit

green1611

Congratulations on two mighty years ...you would reach shortly !!

Indeed, you described right smoking and emotions !! For EX smoker, good to leave those behind, and enjoy smoke free life going ahead. 

Wish you healthy and wealthy smoke free life.

All the Best !

Barbscloud

Congrats on your approaching 2 years anniversary being smoke free.  Hope you have something special planned to celebrate.

Barb