cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Zak1314

5 Months no cigs

5 month's no cig and I really have like really strong emotional feelings right now. I mean I've had them in my 3rd month but not as strong and longer than a day going on the 3rd day and feeling a mess emotionally..

0 Kudos
24 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You are used to dealing with ALL your emotions by hiding from them behind a cloud of smoke.  You may not have learned yet how to best deal with them head on.  I  CAN tell you that smoking is NOT the way to do it!!!!

I don't know what particular emotions with which you are dealing, but anger, fear, depression, anxiety can ALL be helped by brisk exercise.  Get outside and go for a good, hard and fast walk. Look at the clouds, listen to the birdsong, even the cadence of a mower can be soothing.  Or march in place, or do a few sets of stairs, of some jumping jacks.....and see if you don't feel better.

Sometimes it helps to talk them out with someone  Can you call a friend?

That's all I got.......if you continue to struggle, I think a talk with a doctor or psychologist might help.

Don't just sit and wallow in what you are feeling - DO something!

Stay in touch!

Nancy

Zak1314

It's a lil anger , sadness ,anxiety i do talk to my mom . I think it's just a combination of me having to be a single mom . The children bicker every day to where I have to raise my voice an in turn me get angry . My face is breaking out so thats been bothering me as well don't know why it's breaking out never been this bad so feeling insecure about it . I a craving for a cig but I don't want to go back to smoking to calm me emotionally.  I just don't know ..

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Is there something different going on in your life to cause you more emotional upset?  I felt my emotions when I smoked and after I quit.  Stay close now. 

Barb

Zak1314

nothing my mom is in recovery from cancer but I still worry about her .. Besides my children bickering almost every day and me yelling and getting upset over that . I just don't know.. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I'm sure that has to be stressful having the kids at home all day.  Both of your routines have been upset.  Try and take deep breathes.  

I don't know how scientific this is, but I had just read about Quitzits. 

One day, we quit smoking. This is a Good Thing but, as we have also learned, it throws our bodies into an upheaval. Suddenly the chemical balance is thrown out of whack again while, at the same time, our bodies start the detoxification process. You've heard people tell new Quitsters to "drink lots of water to help flush out all the toxins". This is good advice and it helps a great deal. However, it's just not fast enough for you body when begins to excrete the toxins in any way it can. Sometimes the toxins are ejected through the soft tissues inside our mouths and through the pores. 

Daily Koss

Barb

Giulia

This too shall pass.  You just have to hang on through it, Zak.  Nancy's suggestion about exercise is a good one.  Gotta refocus.  The early stages of a quit are tough, and then there's a lull and then suddenly we're out of sync again.  There is an ebb and flow to this journey.  These are also extraordinarily tough times emotionally for all of us.  Our world is just plain weird right now.  I had a meltdown the other night.  It's okay.  I cried it out of myself and the next day was much better. 

Don't let your emotions get in the way of that beautiful quit you've got going.  You've come such a long way.  Worked so hard.  Your body is thanking you in ways you don't even know.  You are incredibly strong.  Five months smoke-free should show you that.  Just keep going.  You'll never regret doing so.  But you will regret it if you don't.  Giving you a big bear hug.  BREATHE!

Zak1314

Yes and the world we are living in is just not making it any better children set to do 2 days in school and 3 days remote learning is something that's bothersome as well . Covid . Like I just have enough on my mind ..

0 Kudos
Zak1314

Thanks for the advice Giulia I really appreciate you taking the time to do so.. Definitely appreciate the bear hug sending one back to you as well..

maryfreecig

When I am boxed in by negative thoughts and emotions, I try to ease the unpleasantness by asking myself: will these feelings pass? Usually I don't believe they will pass, but I know that they will. 

It's weird being smober and realizing that feelings come and go--part of being human. I was so used to controlling my unhappy experiences by running away. I honestly thought it was better to run away!!! How could I possibly stand up to my sadness or  whatever it was that didn't feel good and look it in the face. Square. Let it pass naturally. The more I tried to flee, the longer I stayed unhappy. 

I owe my growth to staying smober, and to a loving supportive community. I hope you know that Ex is here for you everyday--highs, lows, inbetweens.