cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sorice1

How long before i stop craving a cigarette? Driving me crazy, i just keep thinking about it

How long before i stop craving a cigarette? 

35 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Just as every person is different, so is every quit journey.  So - short answer is that I can't tell you that.

This is a two part addiction, physical AND psychological.  I have responded to your blog with lots of reading to do to better understand it, and given you tips for getting through it. 

Do yourself a favor favor and do the reading I recommend.  It, planning, preparation, support and commitment to never smoke another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT make it more likely that you will be successful.

Nancy

MarilynH

You can do this quit believe it deep breaths and keep moving forward stacking up those precious DOF ~ Days Of Freedom it's going to take time to relearn life without the smokes BUT boy oh boy it's so worth it to be Free, for me when I stopped to think about how decades I smoked which was 40 years of at least a 30 a day and every blessed thing I did was wrapped around them than I realized that the longer we're quit the easier it gets, stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can. Sorice1

Barbscloud

Everyone is different, but

Nicotine withdrawal symptoms usually reach their peak 2 to 3 days after you quit, and are gone within 1 to 3 months. (1) It takes at least 3 months for your brain chemistry to return to normal after you quit smoking. (2) The last two symptoms to go usually are irritability and low energy.Aug 3, 2020

Typically the psychological part last longer.   Understanding this journey, helps to make quitting doable.

Barb

AnnetteMM

Ride it out, cowboy ! Cravings won't kill you, but smoking will.

Jen_819

I was thinking the same thing. I have 14 DOF in and hope I don't turn back, but over the weekend that's all I could think about! UGH!!!! We need to stay strong and beat this addiction!

MarilynH

Deep breaths and keep moving forward stacking up those precious DOF ~ Days Of Freedom so each evening you can say YAY for another Day WON it's definetly not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT thankfully with commitment and perseverance you will succeed in living a life of Freedom.....

elvan

Jen_819‌ and Sorice1‌ we all had some rough days early in our quits, just remember that it WILL get easier. Try to be patient...l KNOW how hard that is.  I remember going through a really hard time when all l could think of was smoking or rather NOT smoking. I felt like l would lose my mind & l sure did not want to lose my quit. I asked my husband for advice, he is a recovering alcoholic of 35+ years who quit smoking over 30 years ago. He told me to get on my knees & ask God to remove the mental obsession. He said l MIGHT have to do it more than once & that it was really important that l do it on my knees. I will admit to not having much faith in that approach but l did it. I remember that l DID have to do it more than once but not over & over again. I really DID feel something lift the very first time. Sending you my best, it WILL get easier, believe that.

Ellen

Jen_819

I will try that. It seems like whatever it is is so heavy weighing on me. I will give it to God!

I found this site just a day ago. Today is my day three. I abruptly quit because I tested positive for Covid. I liked your story because I’m six years sober myself and I know about the obsession lifting. I quit drinking so I know it’s possible to quit this smoking yet I have to admit, it is very hard. I know I’ve held on to this as my one last thing, believing it my coping mechanism. I know it’s a lie... I have prayed that God take this from me but maybe deep inside me I wasn’t sincere. Now in face of this Covid and praying i will only have mild symptoms, I cannot add to this virus by smoking. I admire all of you who quit! It really is hard to imagine for me right now.