cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Etaylor7116

Anxiety and Quitting

Hi, I'm Emily. I'm 26 with a 4 year old and I'm quitting for him. To stick around for him, to keep up with him, to set a good example. I smoked cigarettes from the time I was 12 to the time I was 22. I quit cold turkey when I was pregnant with no problem. Those hormones sure can kick your ass into gear. I picked up the Juul about a year after he was born and told myself this is better. Its less harmful and wont put out secondhand smoke. I was being stupid and wrong. It's not better. It's worse. I've never been so dependent on something. So my struggle is that I suffer from frequent panic attacks as it is. When I try to quit, which I have a couple times. I always get panic attacks. I can't get through the feeling of hopelessness. I'm so scared to get through this, but I've never wanted anything more. I have to do this. For me, for my son. How can I stop smoking the Juul and how can I prevent it from seriously effecting my mental health. 

Tags (3)
10 Replies
Barbara145

Once you totally quit it might get a bit worse for a very short time.  You can quit by coming here daily.  I really don't worry about anxiety since I quit smoking.  If I am feeling "antsy"  I just do something positive.  Smoking really does cause anxiety.  You can do this.  You did it before, you can do it now.  

Etaylor7116

Thanks Barbara, 

It's so weird but I don't think I ever felt as addicted to cigarettes as I do with the Juul. But maybe because it's been so long since I smoked. It feels new regardless of doing it before or not. Wish me luck. My quit date is 9/15. 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!  You might talk to your doctor for help with the anxiety/panic attacks when you first quit.  In fact, you will learn if you do the reading that nicotine INCREASES your stress/anxiety levels.  It takes a bit for your body to adjust, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find yourself feeling calmer when you are  further along in your quit.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be

Considering vaping to be “safe” is far from a given - there is much research to be done. What we know is that vaping raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack. There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. Recently vaping has been in the headlines because of the possibility of it causing severe lung damage in young people. An August, 2019 study at the University of Pennsylvania showed that a single instance of vaping immediately lead to reduced vascular function: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190820101601.htm

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods. I understand you cannot do this with the Juul, so you will need to invest in a new device (but you will make up for that expense with your savings from NOT buying pods when you quit). Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time. That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each device use, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each use off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a puff just because you think you do

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Etaylor7116 

I am so glad you are quitting smoking/JUUL...I suffer from GAD (General Anxiety Disorder)...and with smoking I thought it helped me with my anxiety attacks, however, I was wrong...I never worked on how to help my anxiety.  When I quit smoking, I was committed.  There is so much on the internet on how to deal with anxiety.  I found taking walks outside helped, yoga and meditation and most of all breathing exercises.

pastedImage_2.gif

I haven’t had an attack in almost two years...because I practice the techniques everyday which help keep them at bay.  Also, if I feel an attack coming on I turn to my breathing exercises or meditation, etc.,  Quitting Juul is feasible, you just must find the thing that helps you with your attacks.  Talk to your Doctor about your concerns he/she should be able to help you out...

Keep close to the support site, we are here to help you and want to see you succeed...

Work on a plan from now until the 15th...by reading My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and reading the blogs.  You Can Do This...~ Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 640 DOF 

elvan

Welcome to EX, please take all of the advice that has been offered.  I never vaped but we have more and more people coming here who did vape to quit smoking and who are now addicted to vaping.  I think that because it is acceptable in many places, it may be harder to quit.  I started smoking when cigarettes were accepted everywhere.  Nowadays, they are not accepted in many places and for good reason...I have three kids, quit with each pregnancy because the smell of cigarettes made me vomit.  This quit is my "forever" quit, I had many short term quits up until now.  I do not want to smoke, I did a lot of damage to my lungs by smoking and unfortunately, I am reminded of that fact every time I get short of breath or turn on my oxygen at night.  Honestly, smoking and vaping really do not help with anything, the nicotine addiction just feeds anxiety.  It will get easier the more time you put between yourself and the drug.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  Are you working with a doctor for your panic attacks? For quitters with a panic disorder, quitting smoking can trigger a panic attack.  

Barb

maryfreecig

I've found that life is messy no matter what. Quitting is hard enough because of the addiction/dependency. That is why Ex is here. You don't have to go through it alone. And with the community you get to walk through your quit one day at a time--share your ups and downs, grow stronger. 

So many quitters want the decision to quit to be quick and easy. Usually it is not. But the reward quitting is far bigger than messy moments. Stick with Ex, make your plan, gain confidence, take it one day at a time. Yes you can do this.

noetoez

Hi Emily! Welcome!

I also have anxiety and frequent panic attacks. I quit in July, and I won't lie to you, it was really rough. I had a steep increase in episodes in the beginning. But I promise you, it gets better. Quitting is one of the best things we can do for our anxiety. We tell ourselves that smoking/vaping helps us deal, but truly the presence of nicotine in our systems makes our anxiety worse and can cause us to have more panic attacks than we would if we were non smokers.

Some ideas that worked for me:

• Aromatherapy
    • Lavender relaxes
    • Eucalyptus opens airways
  • Adult coloring books (My husband bought me a swear word coloring book, and a 164 color crayon set, it worked weirdly well)
  • Grounding exercises
    • 5 things you can see
    • 4 things you can hear
    • 3 things you can touch
    • 2 things you can smell
    • 1 thing you can taste
  • Come here, blog through the bad. The distraction of typing, and the following outpouring of support will help
  • STAY HYDRATED - 100% most important. I only recently learned from a crisis counselor the connection between hydration and decreased panic frequency. Plus, the sensation of drinking ice cold water or sucking on an ice cube can distract from cigarette cravings and/or feelings of anxiety

Read up, get as many tools in your belt as you can. Find out what your local mental health resources are. Many counties have counselors who can call or text with for free, or let your primary care doctor in on your plans and see if they have any suggestions.

Stay close to this site. Everyone here wants to see you succeed. And you absolutely can!

Eric_L.

Yea.  Vapes are like hitting a crackpipe for me all day.  I have similar breathing issues with both but with vape I went from like nicotine of one pack a day to 5 packs a day.  U got this!

0 Kudos