cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Susan57

This is my 11th year

This is the 11th year being smoke free and still pinch myself that I’m smoke free

this was the hardest journey of my life and this is the best thing that I ever did. When I see the young people smoking or vaping I say to myself “they will have to stop someday”. 

I began smoking at a young age and this continued for 45 years give or take a few years. I could not imagine living a life without a lighter or ashtray and wondered what non smokers did?

at 57 years old I decided it’s time to stop smoking. So, on September 1st 2009 is actually day one and from there on till today “smoke free”. This was not easy, nicotine is one of the most difficult habits to stop so what I did was eat, what I like the most, egg noodles, spaghetti, and chew lots of gum. Once the habit is licked I can diet to-get rid of the extra weight, in which I did. I forget when the day of knowing the habit is now behind me but what I can tell you is I do not ever think about smoking and I’m glad I took the time to stop this nasty habit.

another site that helped me is whyquit.com, there are loads of information there, this site becomeanex.com was my all time go to site because everyone was on the same ride with different experiences that was helpful to me.

good luck on your journey, stick with it. Oh yes, when I stopped smoking I quit “cold turkey” and this has to be the most difficult, if I did it you can too. God Bless you.
 Susan 

14 Replies
sweetplt

Whoo Hoo 

pastedImage_1.gif Susan57 On 11 years of Freedom...Thank you for coming back and positing, it is inspiring to see a long time quitter...I know you are enjoying your Freedom...Have a great celebration...Colleen 638 DOF 

0 Kudos
RoseH

Congratulations.png

0 Kudos

Big Congratulations!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Congrats on 11 years of success.  Thanks for sharing your message.

Barb

0 Kudos
Cousin-Itt

CONGRATULATIONS  On 11 years of Smoke Free Living  Happy for you

0 Kudos
indingrl

Susan 11 NON SMOKER YEARS - Yahoooooooo - WAY TO GO

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Like you, I thought I was going to be the last smoker standing.......until a vascular surgeon advised me of the damage I had done.  Quit in the next two weeks and it has been 8+ years for me.

Glad you stopped by to share your story.  I just know it will help someone struggling today to know that even us long term quitters didn't find it easy, either, but we prevailed!

Congratulations on your success!

Nancy

0 Kudos

Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing your Victory!

0 Kudos
Maki

Cogrstulation on 11 years quit . 

Thanks for sharing your story . 

0 Kudos